New noise that goes away when pressing clutch pedal

I think some of you have it backwards. If the noise is present IN GEAR, it's not the throwout bearing. Throwout bearing noises happen when you depress the clutch, usually in the form of screech. You should really try to pinpoint the noise before you throw money at a new clutch. My money is on input shaft bearing on the transmission, but it would help to have a video to get a better idea than saying it's a "shhhhhhhh" noise.
10-4 bromel. I'll take a video later today.. it'll be choppy since I have to be driving but I'll make it work.

the noise is present IN GEAR, around 2100-2750 RPMs. No noise at idle. No noise when I push the clutch in at the same RPMs. No noise at the same RPMs at neutral while standing still.

I have just developed a similar problem. I am getting a scuffing, grinding noise primarily when I am decelerating in gear. If I press the clutch in the noise goes away for the most part but I think I can still hear it slightly. When the vehicle is cold the noise isn’t noticeable but as it warms up it gets louder and louder. The transmission is a NSG370 and the clutch was replaced about 20k miles ago. Mileage is 105k and it has been flat towed about another 20k.

I am guessing this is the transmission going bad. It operates perfectly but the noise is getting worse. Is there anything else it can be? Can the transfer case be acting up? All of the universals in the front and rear driveshafts have been replaced recently and I think they are fine. I will pull the driveshafts one at a time but I doubt they are the problem.

Update: It was due to the centering ball in the double-Cardan joint in the rear driveshaft. This joint was rebuilt just 3000 miles ago. While I had the drive shaft out I lubed it through the non-zerk fitting using a needle adapter on the grease gun. I also smeared grease all over the ball but I am sure this will just get thrown out. We’ll see how long it is before it starts making noise again.

Last edited: