New TJ owner: 2002 Sahara

Boba_Fatt

Hi all. I am a long time Jeep owner ('94 Grand Cheroree, '03 Liberty) but I just picked up my first Wrangler and I am in love with it.
I had been looking for a while and found a 2002 Black Sahara, 4.0 V6, automatic, completely stock with 146k miles. I got it for $5,600. Not a spot of rust on it as it was driven in a southern state for most of its life.

The trade offs were:
- Need to replace the soft top (factory frame is fine) and it didn't come with a hard top
- Had to replace the radio
- Interior is pretty dirty but nothing is ripped or broken
- It's got a couple small dings and faded paint/clear coat in some spots (pretty consistent with a 20 year old car)

IMG_5239.jpeg

I feel like it was a pretty solid deal but would love to hear your opinions. I love this thing and am excited to be part of the community.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Chris and RINC
Welcome. If you haven't done it already, check the frame really well inside and out. New York winters are tough on TJ frames.

Welcome. If you haven't done it already, check the frame really well inside and out. New York winters are tough on TJ frames.

Yes, it's been hard to find a TJ without frame rust. Got lucky with this one as it was in Georgia for the first 17 years of its life. Had my mechanic take a look at it as well. The only area I was able to find rust was in the passenger footwell. Looks like some surface rust that I am going to take care of this weekend. Almost every TJ I looked at had rust on the frame, fenders, and below the doors.

Yes, it's been hard to find a TJ without frame rust. Got lucky with this one as it was in Georgia for the first 17 years of its life. Had my mechanic take a look at it as well. The only area I was able to find rust was in the passenger footwell. Looks like some surface rust that I am going to take care of this weekend. Almost every TJ I looked at had rust on the frame, fenders, and below the doors.

Mine was a Virginia jeep all its life, got it last year, I'm in Ohio so i plan to get a company near Pittsburgh to do a thorough wool wax in all frame areas and undercarriage before winter!