New TJ owner in UK: What tools do I need?

OXO

Just got a 1997 TJ 4.0, and almost all my tools are metric. I assume I will need some metric ones now.

So what do I need? I see lots of torx screws on it.. what size are they?

I put together a “must have” tool list for new and future TJ owners. I am old and own damn near every tool ever made including the first two pieces of flint ever struck together. That said, I live in two places and have had to duplicate or triplicate many of my tools since I got a TJ. Additionally, I am not a TJ expert so there may be some that do not make sense. First being, every type of fastener ever conceived seems to be engineered into the TJ as a cruel joke. I will add preferred by me brands where relevant, but understand choice of brands is a personal journey. If you are young, never buy cheap tools. Good ones will last forever and pay for themselves in more ways than longevity. I have not touched every component as of yet and there are vast gaps in my TJ education. Remember, if you have to borrow a tool once and need one again, buy it. Buddies hate loaning tools, especially twice. Very few times in my long life that I have borrowed a tool. There is something grossly obscene about tool loaning and borrowing. Like sharing a tooth brush. I have not ventured into the air tool realm. Please copy this list and add to it and re-post as a living document for member’s consideration. Here goes in no special order of importance.

• 3-Ton jack Hein-Werner
  • Four 6 ton jack stands Hein-Werner
  • Complete metric box end set Wright Tool
  • Complete standard box end set Wright tool
  • Complete metric 3/8 drive and ½ drive socket sets Wright, Snap-On, SK, or US forged Williams
  • Ratchets of every size, 3/8 flex head imperative. SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • 3/8 and ½ drive extensions SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • 3/8 drive swivel sockets metric and standard SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • Small and larger torque wrenches. CDI
  • Pry Bar set Mayhew
  • Chisel set Mayhew
  • Punch set Mayhew
  • Brass drift set Mayhew
  • Seal/bearing race driver set
  • Pliers, dykes, side cutter, needle nose, large slip joints, etc etc, Klein, Channel Lock, Wilde, Knipex
  • Dead blow mallet and ball peens, Trusty-Cook
  • Small Sledge Estwing
  • Ball Joint tool Snap-On BJP1 or OTC
  • Test light
  • Multimeter
  • Complete screw driver set Wright, Snap-On, SK, or US forged Williams
  • 18 Volt or larger impact and drill
  • US made cobalt drill bits Huot
  • Pickle forks and tie-rod separators
  • Complete torx bit set
  • Male Hex head set
  • Good 4 way lug wrench
  • Soldering iron
  • Dial indicator (cheap one might suffice if for minor tasks)
  • Measuring Tape Stanley
  • Magnetic angle finder
  • Hand held torx and allen wrenches Eklind
  • Fluid suction gun OTC
  • Grease gun
  • Small blutooth speaker for your music while wrenching
  • Multiple rechargeable drop lights
  • Drip pans
  • Oil filter wrench
  • Wire brush
  • Sand paper
  • Gasket scraper set Mayhew or Wilde
  • Snap ring plier set Lang
  • Pick set
  • Beer Bottle opener Klein
  • 1/2 in drive 36mm
  • 28mm socket
  • 55T short shank
  • 50T Torx bit sockets
  • Full Torx set actually
  • Tap & die set
  • Easy outs
  • Thread chasers
  • ½ breaker bar
  • Penetrating oil (recommend 50/50 acetone with tranny fluid)
  • Big vise Wilton

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Chris
I put together a “must have” tool list for new and future TJ owners. I am old and own damn near every tool ever made include the first two pieces of flint ever struck together. That said, I live in two places and have had to duplicate or triplicate many of my tools since I got a TJ. Additionally, I am not a TJ expert so there may be some that do not make sense. First being, every type of fastener ever conceived seems to be engineered into the TJ as a cruel joke. I will add preferred by me brands where relevant, but understand choice of brands is a personal journey. If you are young, never buy cheap tools. Good ones will last forever and pay for themselves in more ways than longevity. I have not touched every component as of yet and there are vast gaps in my TJ education. Remember, if you have to borrow a tool once and need one again, buy it. Buddies hate loaning tools, especially twice. Very few times in my long life that I have borrowed a tool. There is something grossly obscene about tool loaning and borrowing. Like sharing a tooth brush. I have not ventured into the air tool realm. Please copy this list and add to it and re-post as a living document for member’s consideration. Here goes in no special order of importance.

• 3-Ton jack Hein-Werner
  • Four 6 ton jack stands Hein-Werner
  • Complete metric box end set Wright Tool
  • Complete standard box end set Wright tool
  • Complete metric 3/8 drive and ½ drive socket sets Wright, Snap-On, SK, or US forged Williams
  • Ratchets of every size, 3/8 flex head imperative. SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • 3/8 and ½ drive extensions SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • 3/8 drive swivel sockets metric and standard SK, Wright, Williams or Snap-On
  • Small and larger torque wrenches. CDI
  • Pry Bar set Mayhew
  • Chisel set Mayhew
  • Punch set Mayhew
  • Brass drift set Mayhew
  • Seal/bearing race driver set
  • Pliers, dykes, side cutter, needle nose, large slip joints, etc etc, Klein, Channel Lock, Wilde, Knipex
  • Dead blow mallet and ball peens, Trusty-Cook
  • Small Sledge Estwing
  • Ball Joint tool Snap-On BJP1 or OTC
  • Test light
  • Multimeter
  • Complete crew driver set Wright, Snap-On, SK, or US forged Williams
  • 18 Volt or larger impact and drill
  • US made cobalt drill bits Huot
  • Spring compressor
  • Pickle forks and tie-rod separators
  • Complete torx bit set
  • Male Hex head set
  • Good 4 way lug wrench
  • Soldering iron
  • Dial indicator (cheap one might suffice if for minor tasks)
  • Measuring Tape Stanley
  • Magnetic angle finder
  • Hand held torx and allen wrenches Eklind
  • Fluid suction gun OTC
  • Grease gun
  • Small blutooth speaker for your music while wrenching
  • Multiple rechargeable drop lights
  • Drip pans
  • Oil filter wrench
  • Wire brush
  • Sand paper
  • Gasket scraper set Mayhew or Wilde
  • Snap ring plier set Lang
  • Pick set
  • Beer Bottle opener Klein
  • 1/2 in drive 36mm
  • 28mm socket
  • 55T short shank
  • 50T Torx bit sockets
  • Full Torx set actually
  • Tap & die set
  • Easy outs
  • Thread chasers
  • ½ breaker bar
  • Penetrating oil (recommend 50/50 acetone with tranny fluid)
  • Big vise Wilton

The TJ was always metric, right?

They're American metric, not JIS, lol. Head size and thread pitch are different.

10, 13, 15, 19mm
Every torx size up to t55

Most sockets are either 6 point or 12 point. Try to stick with 6pt. You will round off a nut or bolt a lot less often. Having deep well and shallow (normal) well sockets is very handy. I try to have deep well impact sockets. They are a bit thicker and much less likley to break. In the US we have ratchets and sockets that are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive. Have at least a good 3/8 ratchet and breakerbar and a selection of adapters to use the other drive sockets. Combination wrenches from 3/8 to 15/16 should cover most situations. From there your metric tools and other basic things like jack stands and pry bars that are universal. Plenty of torx and I've found Allen heads too. Jeeps are one of the most fun vehicles to wrench on for me. Things like locking pliers and a welder will be needed far less often. But when you need them there isn't much else to use.

The TJ was always metric, right?

They're American metric, not JIS, lol. Head size and thread pitch are different.

10, 13, 15, 19mm
Every torx size up to t55

O RLY ? I never knew that they were metric.

The TJ consists of metric and SAE fasteners. Which ever wrench you crawl under the Jeep with will be the wrong one.😉 But just the basics are all that you will ever need for 95% of the time.

The TJ consists of metric and SAE fasteners. Which ever wrench you crawl under the Jeep with will be the wrong one.😉 But just the basics are all that you will ever need for 95% of the time.
The good news is you will be come expert in fastener recognition. Torx, Allen, SAE and metric and as your Jeep has had at least one previous owner, you get the added pleasure of discovering whatever they tapped, die'd, cross threaded in from their nuts and bolts bin and JB Welded. God forbid the PO had a welder. Whenever I go to the Jeep junkyard I ask them for scrounged up nuts and bolts. That alone has saved me countless grief. Some Wrangler fasteners are quite elusive.

add a 36 mm open end to remove the cooling fan. Tekton is an Asian company that sells cheap tools on Amazon that seem to hold up.

What's a good brand of a torque wrench? I'm seeing a range of 20-150 and 30-250 in 1/2" drive.

It would seem to me the 30-250 would be a better range?

CDI makes very good torque wrenches. Always return your torque wrench to zero after use. That will help it maintain accuracy for years.