New to forums

MattC'04TJ

As stated I'm new to the forums. Started lurking and absorbing knowledge then finally signed up. I owned a base 4.0 YJ back in 99, then a base 4cyl TJ ( well she did, but I bought it lol ) and now I once again have a jeep of my own. The pics included are from the facebook marketplace. I downloaded them because I couldn't take any better ones here lol.

A 2004 4.0 TJ X. I found the dealer sheet via VIN online and its a base X with no goodies.

I bought it, didn't build it. It needs TLC and I plan on restoring her the best I can over time. I bought the Savvy cable for the tcase and installed it because the old linkage was shot to..well..it was done. Bought ZJ upgrade parts and will do the steering soon as the kids car is out of the garage. The steering is stress inducing. Weaves back and forth, at about 40 its down right frightening. Been scouring the forums here and checked the caster - its at 6° but the toe is borked bad. The dry steering test had things moving that shouldn't as well. The steering box has play, though I'm going to replace that and the ball joints ( just because ) in the spring.

Dana 30 in the front D25 in the rear, and speaking of which - the rear Dana 35 has a posi in it so I'm hoping its a s35 kit ( no posi or such on dealer sheet) as who ever actually built it seemed to put a lot of love - and even more money into it. According to a 4WP cart I though together it has at least 8k worth of mods on it - well depreciation not withstanding.

The snorkel is disconnected by the previous owner, however he handed me a bag of parts and said they are all there. Previous owner said that when he bought it it came with a hard top but it was shot. Even if it wasn't the dealer sheet said it came stock with a soft top anyway so what ever. Long term plans are front/rear Dana 44 with RCV's/Chromoly respectively fitted with selectable lockers. Not sure which one yet, that needs a lot more information gathering. Super long term is an Atlas with twin sticks, however a d300 may fit the bill as I don't think I truly _need_ the super low crawl gears in the north east.

She's been patched/reinforced, and needs another one on passenger rear lower arm mount. I think that means, since I have to cut and weld that area anyway, that I have to put in a long arm suspension. Well that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

P.S: Small edit because I forgot to mention that I'm thinking about putitng " Midlife Crisis" on the hood in some sort of classic jeep font... thoughts? I chose that because its pretty much where I'm at lol.

240785310_1996706993817698_7166240603603217996_n.jpg

240880974_1996707037151027_3608769651623492825_n.jpg

240958962_1996707017151029_182730530728949915_n.jpg

241187638_1996706897151041_183691936656356353_n.jpg

241191950_1996706920484372_6838585742529838989_n.jpg

241254054_1996706880484376_5907203173701191040_n.jpg

241410028_1996706937151037_1367234255744126381_n.jpg

241801095_1996706953817702_3680006922417060351_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks All !

The CAI was put in buy the previous owner. He gave me a bag o' parts and said everything there to reconnect the snorkel. Snorkel stays btw. Perhaps in different form but it stays. There are loads of deep water crossings in the mountains around here. Sure I've done them with out before, but its already there :) Just have to get the electronics sealed up.

I don't know why everyone hates on the grill lol. I like it. Sure it screams ' Mall Terrain ' but I like it. Besides even if I didn't there are more important things to fix first...is what I'm gonna say every time.

I've already learned a few things that have helped a ton and are implementing them as I am able.

So far I have only been able to get the Savvy Tcase cable in and the ZJ steering stuff should be here today. I bought a RC steering stab to go with the RC lift that came already installed as well. Next is rewire the spagehttie under the hood for the lights and move the OBA and tank to the rear from under the hood. Then in the spring will be body / frame work. It doesn't need much, but I want to catch it while I can. I plan for an Apex 12t winch at somepoint.

Thanks All !

The CAI was put in buy the previous owner. He gave me a bag o' parts and said everything there to reconnect the snorkel. Snorkel stays btw. Perhaps in different form but it stays. There are loads of deep water crossings in the mountains around here. Sure I've done them with out before, but its already there :) Just have to get the electronics sealed up.

I don't know why everyone hates on the grill lol. I like it. Sure it screams ' Mall Terrain ' but I like it. Besides even if I didn't there are more important things to fix first...is what I'm gonna say every time.

I've already learned a few things that have helped a ton and are implementing them as I am able.

So far I have only been able to get the Savvy Tcase cable in and the ZJ steering stuff should be here today. I bought a RC steering stab to go with the RC lift that came already installed as well. Next is rewire the spagehttie under the hood for the lights and move the OBA and tank to the rear from under the hood. Then in the spring will be body / frame work. It doesn't need much, but I want to catch it while I can. I plan for an Apex 12t winch at somepoint.
Ok here is the cool thing about jeeps, you can make them whatever you like( please dear God don't paint it rainbow colors :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ) I like decals, other don't, my wife likes the stupid Jeep Duck thing I don't, but I got 4 of them little suckers on my dash thanks to her!!!! You like the snorkel and the grill keepem, really it's your Jeep so do as you please with it and be happy. Just be ready for some good natured kidding also!!!!

Reactions: Zorba
Ok here is the cool thing about jeeps, you can make them whatever you like( please dear God don't paint it rainbow colors :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ) I like decals, other don't, my wife likes the stupid Jeep Duck thing I don't, but I got 4 of them little suckers on my dash thanks to her!!!! You like the snorkel and the grill keepem, really it's your Jeep so do as you please with it and be happy. Just be ready for some good natured kidding also!!!!
Oh yeah I take it all in good fun. I think the grills are a brilliant money making gimic, I am trying to find a smile to go with it though hahahaha. Its not an angry jeep, its a jeep that up to no good.

Well I stand corrected. While I was untangling the spaghetti of wiring under the hood I noticed the angry grill was just a cover ( I thought it was a replacement ) and investigated. Come to find out it's only being held on by its own clamping force and 1 body pannel push tab.

I took it off and it struck me how much better it looked. I actually caught myself absentmindedly saying "Wow, that does look better" out loud. So its off for now...maybe for good. Dont know, hell I might sell it to recoup some cash.

Well I stand corrected. While I was untangling the spaghetti of wiring under the hood I noticed the angry grill was just a cover ( I thought it was a replacement ) and investigated. Come to find out it's only being held on by its own clamping force and 1 body pannel push tab.

I took it off and it struck me how much better it looked. I actually caught myself absentmindedly saying "Wow, that does look better" out loud. So its off for now...maybe for good. Dont know, hell I might sell it to recoup some cash.
Welcome the forum and…. Keep it off!