New to me TJ in Nashville

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
40.jpg

Just purchased a 2002 TJ.
There is a noise that happens while driving. It isn't consistent. I doesn't start making the noise when first started and driven. It's a fairly loud pulsing whine. Usually it happens while driving. I'll hear a pop and then is starts. It will continue for a while but will go away if I stop. I may or may not start back once going again but it usually has a pop before it starts whining.
As far as I can tell everything else seems OK. I need to replace the soft top but that should be easy.
Would it be worth taking it by a 4x4 shop and ask them to look it over?

Is it coming from the motor?

Also, welcome to the forum from a local.
I don't think so. It doesn't do it if it's just sitting still (so far). The popping reminds me of A/C kicking on but this jeep doesn't have A/C

Replaced the speedometer gear in the transfer case last night. A really easy update that I'm surprised the previous owner never did.
Since the speedometer wasn't correct (It showed a higher speed than the actual speed). Does that make the odometer run up faster than it should have?

Also replaced the soft top with factory hardware and smittybilt cover. Not the greatest cover but I paid 170 for it all. If I ever purchase a new soft top cover I'll go with Bestop.

Reactions: Wildman
Replaced the speedometer gear in the transfer case last night. A really easy update that I'm surprised the previous owner never did.
Since the speedometer wasn't correct (It showed a higher speed than the actual speed). Does that make the odometer run up faster than it should have?

Yes it will rack up more mile than it has actually driven because the speedo was off.

@NashvilleTJ is a neighbor and might be able to help you out with that noise.

Father-in-law rode with me today to see what he thought it was. He said it sounds like its coming from the transfer case. I guess next step is to change the fluid. When I changed the speed gear I could tell there was fluid in the case.

Listed below is all the mods that are in the Jeep. I'm glad they were able to list everything that's been done.

􀀀 Currie “Rock Jock” Dana 60 high Pinion rear axle with 4:88 gears
and Eaton Electronic Locker
􀀀 Front Yukon Chromoly shafts and 4:88 Gears
􀀀 Tom Woods rear drive shaft and slip yoke eliminator
􀀀 New front drive shaft as of recent months
􀀀 Rubicon Express 3.5” short arm kit
􀀀 All adjustable upper and lower control arms, Front and Rear
adjustable track bars
􀀀 1” Prothane body lift (for high clearance gas gas-tank skid plate
􀀀 Currie/Savvy solid chromoly steering Currectlync set up
􀀀 Fox 2.0 Reservoir shocks, All
􀀀 Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer
􀀀 Currie Aluminum antirock Front
􀀀 Poison Spyder Front and Rear Bumpers
􀀀 XRC 8000lb water proof winch with synthetic line
􀀀 XRC Front and Rear Fenders/ Rock Sliders
􀀀 All aluminum three row radiator
􀀀 New alternator
􀀀 New water pump, thermostat and housing
􀀀 New bolt, spark plugs
􀀀 K and N intake
􀀀 Die Hard platinum battery
􀀀 New rear main seal
􀀀 New luck stock style clutch
􀀀 Banks exhaust

Yesterday I drove the Jeep about a mile and came back home and parked it in my garage. When I came back out later that night I noticed fluid on the concrete about a tablespoon or 2. It looks like it was coming out of the manual transmission drain plug but the more I looked at it, it looks like its coming from the top of the transmission. I have a few pictures below of the same area. I'm not sure what this tube is, I would guess electrical but I'm not sure.
It looks like engine oil and I just replaced it not long ago. I was thinking last night that maybe the previous owner was using high mileage oil and I used regular 5w-30. Should I replace it with high mileage and see if the leak goes away. I'm worried about it being the rear main seal but they indicated that it had been replaced.

42.jpg
43.jpg
41.jpg

Last edited: