New to the TJ world

RustedNuts

I just purchased my first TJ about a month ago. Love driving it topless and doorless, but since I live in Michigan it has been a short lived experience. Question is this, since I have reinstalled the hard top and doors, I have noticed that the back glass is rattling with the bumps in the road. Is there some adjustment step I'm missing on reassembly or do these always rattle? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20180916_105241686.jpg

I just purchased my first TJ about a month ago. Love driving it topless and doorless, but since I live in Michigan it has been a short lived experience. Question is this, since I have reinstalled the hard top and doors, I have noticed that the back glass is rattling with the bumps in the road. Is there some adjustment step I'm missing on reassembly or do these always rattle? Thanks in advance.
Nice TJ, is that the Patriot Blue?

The hardtop glass should not rattle back there, i'm thinking either your seal is bad/flattened and just not having the cushion it should have, or your glass lift supports are shot and not holding the glass as tight as it could be, how smooth does the glass lift up?

These are what you'll need if it is the supports: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R4FRNO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
Nice TJ, is that the Patriot Blue?

The hardtop glass should not rattle back there, i'm thinking either your seal is bad/flattened and just not having the cushion it should have, or your glass lift supports are shot and not holding the glass as tight as it could be, how smooth does the glass lift up?

These are what you'll need if it is the supports: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R4FRNO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I can lift it to full height and then it will say down to about half height. I know they are supposed to hold it up, but I didn't know they also held it closed.

My struts are new and strong but the rear glass has always rattled. You can adjust the glass length by loosening the nuts and pulling down ,DON'T over tighten and crack the glass. I just have a OEM dish towel I fold nicely across the back when i have the hard top on

Mine rattled a bit and I just tightened the bolts back to spec. The struts were shot completely but after tightening the rattle went away regardless.

Welcome to the best forum on the net.

The struts have nothing to do with the rattle. Even without struts the glass should still be held tight.

Are you closing the glass before the tailgate? The way it works is the tailgate holds the glass in place by pushing against the rubber seal at the bottom of the glass.

The struts have nothing to do with the rattle. Even without struts the glass should still be held tight.

Are you closing the glass before the tailgate? The way it works is the tailgate holds the glass in place by pushing against the rubber seal at the bottom of the glass.

I did not realize one could close the gate before the glass. Doesnt the spare get in the way?

X2

My struts were also completely shot and I have never had any rattling issue. Like @CodaMan said the rubber seal should be holding it in place.

I've been researching this for a couple of days. Being new to the TJ, I had no idea how the rear window "latched" to the tailgate. I pulled the hard top off because the rear glass would pop up while driving. Ordering a a new tailgate today off ebay (mine has a rusted crease on left top edge) and the rubber seal. Thanks!

Crutch

Reactions: Alex01
My struts are new and strong but the rear glass has always rattled. You can adjust the glass length by loosening the nuts and pulling down ,DON'T over tighten and crack the glass. I just have a OEM dish towel I fold nicely across the back when i have the hard top on

Do you mean you just keep a bit of rag/cloth as like an extra spacer to stop the rattling? I've adjusted/tightened and while it is a bit better, it still rattles. Seems to have gotten a bit worse again over the past week. I've thought about taking a piece of cardboard or cloth back there like a shim or something to mitigate it.

Struts are in great shape, window opens smoothly and stays opened up all on its own.

I had the same problem with mine and i spite of adjusting the glass gate and the tail gate I still had problems. The gasket mount and seal on the bottom of the glass was broken and therefore the tailgate did not fight tightly against the seal. Ordered this off eBay. Was unable to find these from anywhere else. They are unavailable from Jeep-Chrysler. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=360856914757

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.