Newly Acquired 2000 Wrangler: Tire Questions

Daddyoo

Newly Acquired a totally stock 2000 Wrangler Sahara, it needs new tires. According to door sticker originally came with 30x 9.5x 15 tires. Currently there are 225 x70x 15 tires on the vehicle wich are essentially car tires ( 4 ply sidewalls) standard radials. This Wrangler will be driven mainly highway and city maybe a beach ride once/twice a year. Wondering if I need 30x 9.5x 15 6 ply tires or go with a car tire 235 75 15 (4 ply sidewalls).

2 questions
  1. Has anyone noticed a handling difference with stiffer sidewalls 30 9.5 15 tires vs the 225 70 15 softer sidewall car tires?
  2. Which is safer (rollover wise) with cornering with the 225 70 15 softer sidewalls vs the higher stance 30 9.5 15 tires with stiffer sidewalls?

Thanks for your help, advice and experioence in advance!

For what it's worth, mine is likewise totally stock and I've been running the like-new Michelin road tires it came with since I got it - size 235/75/r15

I have similar driving, city and highway for work/fun and then camping a few times a year. That size is good for DD'ing but I fully intend to rock 30x9.5x15's whenever I finally wear these out and make the switch. You may already know this but check the true sizing for any tires you look into. General Grabber's for instance at 30x9.5 are true 30" while the same size in a BFG KO2 is listed at 29.5"

I don't think you'll see a major cornering difference when you gain an inch of tire clearance but others can speak to that better. I have basic Tactik D steel wheels from quadratec and those have different backspacing so they sit out farther. I noticed a difference more from the wider stance than from sitting an inch higher in other Jeeps.

Reactions: Chris and DrDmoney
Stock Rubi wore 245/75R16. Getting a matching tire in 15" rim should do everything you desire. You will want a "LT" tire rating in a "C" load range. You technically can use a passenger ("P" rated) tire, but the Jeep was designed around the firmer sidewalls of the LT rated tire. You MAY have too much tire flex with the P series and just adding more psi to the tire to control the flex will only cause problems somewhere else. Steering and cornering are sensitive to tire psi.
So for best all around use stay with a 'LT' tire load range 'C' at around 26-29 psi.👍

Reactions: Chris