No longer have brake lights

Camdenst

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi guys, happy new year.

I just noticed that my brake lights no longer work, 05 LJR. Tail lamps and signals work great, but nothing from the middle pedal. Any thoughts? Not sure if it would affect the brake lights not working, but I did have the clutch done and I replaced the rubber body mounts. Is there some sensor on the pedal that goes?

Thanks in advance.

Check fuse #2 behind the glove box, if it is blown replace. If it is not blown disconnect brake lamp switch and jump the two wires together if lamp come on now replace the switch.

A39B58C0-C574-42D4-933A-CD14B063E472.png

Check fuse #2 behind the glove box, if it is blown replace. If it is not blown disconnect brake lamp switch and jump the two wires together if lamp come on now replace the switch.
If the switch is good or bypassed the 3rd brake light should light.
The signal for the other two have to pass through a working MFS.

Fuse for the win… @NskLJ if you every find yourself around shoreline CT, beers on me and pizza too if you trek to new haven…. Any idea what the origional fuse was, I just pulled a yellow 20 that looks like it was from a gas station, very cheap looking.

Last edited:
3rd brake light should light, the signal for the other two have to pass through a working MFS.

I know that his signals are working, one more thing check the hazards to verify if they work and the switch is down.

Fuse for the win, @NskLJ if you every find yourself in the shoreline of CT, beers on me…. Any idea what the origional fuse was, I just pulled a yellow 20 that looks like it was from a gas station, very cheap looking.

It is a 20 amp atc fuse (yellow) if you look in the upper left corner of the wiring diagram it shows the fuse # the amperage rating then the (8w-11-4) will be chapter, section and page of wiring diagram for the fuse box. When you replace keep an ear out for the fuse blowing again. If it blows again you may have a short that needs to be traced.

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful. I thought it was odd to blow a fuse… but I did do flush mounts about three years ago. Last question I promise, what would cause the brake lights to fail but the running and turn signal to still operat.

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful. I thought it was odd to blow a fuse… but I did do flush mounts about three years ago. Last question I promise, what would cause the brake lights to fail but the running and turn signal to still operat.

Issue with the high mount stop lamp check the contacts at the tailgate did something short those out? Check the wiring running up to the lamp. Check if you have a trailer wiring plug installed.

Issue with the high mount stop lamp check the contacts at the tailgate did something short those out? Check the wiring running up to the lamp. Check if you have a trailer wiring plug installed.

Great point. I had rewire the third brake light at the tail gate this summer when I upgraded to the morryde reinforcement kit. I’ll start with the fuse and check there first.

Thanks again.