No nutserts on the frame for side steps

Bammo68

TJ Enthusiast
Went to fit some factory side steps to the TJ and there are no nutserts in the frame? All 7 holes are there in the correct places and everything lines up but holes are clean with nothing behind them. So clean that it looks like possibly there were never any steps fitted to it at all. This is a rust-free low mileage jeep. VIN is dated 2001 but the manufacturer build plate is 1999 which I understand was pretty common at that time (Jeep stock took a long time to sell).

Its a RHD Aussie spec Wrangler Sport so a bit of a hybrid model compared to what you guys have in the US - Dana 44 in the rear standard for instance. It possible it never came fitted with the steps in the first place as I got these elsewhere (and yes, I do want to fit them as they are useful for the type of work I do in the TJ!)

Any ideas as to how to mount the factory side steps without having to cut a hole into the frame to get nuts on?

It probably didn't come out of the factory with sidesteps the US Sahara which is a Renegade in Australia came with the steps as standard same as the later models Renegade Golden eagles and 65th, they were ordered on some sports though.
Just have some Nutserts put in.

I could be wrong and quite often am but I think the vin is stamped in the factory when its being made?

Follow the link below and you can see your full build sheet and build date, just put your Vin the box at the bottom of the page although I am not sure it works for all 99,s but should if its a 2001.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/1J4F449S56P758226

Last edited:
This was one of my first questions on the forum. The frame comes with holes for the nutserts, which you install for the steps.

See here and here.

Any ideas as to how to mount the factory side steps without having to cut a hole into the frame to get nuts on?
Source nutserts and matching 8mm flange head bolts locally. The nutsert will be a matching 8mm, typically 1.25mm thread pitch. The hole size when accurately measured will help. Typically they are 17/32 or .531 or metric equivalent 13.5mm.

The frame is roughly .150 thick so you run the risk of the shallower nutsert not setting fully. I use the ones for a thicker material.

If it wasn't clear, 8mm and 5/16" sizes are essentially interchangeable for stuff like this for every aspect except the threads being slightly different.

From McMaster, the nutserts we would use are as follows-

1647695368524.png

Equivalent in metric versions-

1647695468091.png

This was one of my first questions on the forum. The frame comes with holes for the nutserts, which you install for the steps.

See here and here.
Aahh thanks for that. I did search but didn't see your question. I'm pretty sure the bolts are M8 and I can source M8 rivnuts locally and a mate has the air powered install tool so will give that a go..

OK - installed M10 Rivnuts today and used new M10 hardware as the M8 nuts available to me where too small for the pre-drilled holes in the frame. All fits perfectly.

Thanks for the assist...
Welcome to rubbing your leg on them every time getting in and out lol :) They do protect the paintwork though if you are on any WA gravel roads regularly. :)