No throttle response

Wvwrangler304

Well, was on way home this morning from work, all of a sudden got no response to my throttle. Would clutch in and drop gear and it would go for a little bit then nothing again. Then it would just quit on me. Start back up and seemed like it didn't want to go at all. Got to my driveway and it would not make it up my little hill. Giages were not indicating any sign of over heating or anything. Although something was hot and smoking but idk what it was. Tried make it up a few times but nothing. I don't know if it's transmission(don't seem to be but who knows) I don't know if I was out of gas (didn't know if gas Guage worked or not. It's a new to me jeep) I don't know if maybe fuel injectors, spark plugs need changed out or what. It's a 2000 2.5l 5 speed

1st thing is to put some GAS in it if your not sure if the gauge works! next would be to check the fuel pressure and check for spark . then maybe we can start helping you ! but you need to trace down the source of the smoke .

Last edited:
no throttle response?
so as in you push the gas pedal while in gear and the rpms dont go up.. or you push the gas pedal while in gear, the rpms go up and the vehicle stays fairly stationary and you smell a burning smell soon after?

flat ground im sure a slipping clutch would at the least get you moving a little bit on the road, but going up a hill im sure you won't move and will notice a burning clutch disc smell.
I once fried my clutch in my old car in the dead of winter with a broken shift fork stuck in 3rd gear about 3 miles from home. I made it but it smelled and smoked fiercely the whole way.

all just a guess of course. too many variables in the initial post.

Last edited: