Noise coming from middle of drivetrain

2tj

I have a 2000 tj sport with the 6 cyl and 5 speed manual. When the Jeep is idling with the clutch out it has a “rattling” / bearing noise coming from the middle of the drive train. Seems to be between the seats somewhere. I’ve had one mechanic tell me it was a bearing in the transfer case?? Any body have any other ideas it could be. The Jeep drives good and changes gear good.

The transmission makes a normal rattling sound when in Neutral when the clutch pedal is up. The engine is spinning the transmission's input shaft so you're hearing that and its bearings spinning. Perfectly normal.

If it's the NV3550 5 speed, they are notoriously noisy. Mine surely is. Mine has 165K miles on it and hasn't blown up yet.

Reactions: Daryl
I have a 2000 tj sport with the 6 cyl and 5 speed manual. When the Jeep is idling with the clutch out it has a “rattling” / bearing noise coming from the middle of the drive train. Seems to be between the seats somewhere. I’ve had one mechanic tell me it was a bearing in the transfer case?? Any body have any other ideas it could be. The Jeep drives good and changes gear good.

Could be throwout bearing. Put it in 4 low and 1st. Just to get the Jeep moving slow. Once you let off the clutch do you hear it as the Jeep is rolling?
Put a little pressure on the clutch pedal and see if it goes away as you push in the clutch when you are rolling.

Could be throwout bearing. Put it in 4 low and 1st. Just to get the Jeep moving slow. Once you let off the clutch do you hear it as the Jeep is rolling?
Put a little pressure on the clutch pedal and see if it goes away as you push in the clutch when you are rolling.

The throwout bearing is only in use when the clutch pedal is depressed. If he is hearing a noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out, the throwout bearing is not the cause as it is doing nothing during that time (it is just sitting still, not even spinning).

The NV3550 is a very loud transmission when in neutral, especially when it is hot. What you're hearing is perfectly normal for any NV3550. The noise is a little unnerving at first, but I've learned to live with it.

Also, the transfer case is not spinning when idling in neutral so that mechanic is wrong. The bearings in the transfer case are not spinning when at idle in neutral. The noise is coming from a bearing in the transmission. But that is normal.

The throwout bearing is only in use when the clutch pedal is depressed. If he is hearing a noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out, the throwout bearing is not the cause as it is doing nothing during that time, it is just sitting still, not even spinning).

The NV3550 is a very loud transmission when in neutral, especially when it is hot. What you're hearing is perfectly normal for any NV3550. The noise is a little unnerving at first, but I've learned to live with it.

Also, the transfer case is not spinning when idling in neutral so that mechanic is wrong. The bearings in the transfer case are not spinning when at idle in neutral. The noise is coming from a bearing in the transmission. But that is normal.

Your first paragraph is confusing.

My buddy had a Cherokee with a 5 speed with a bad throwout bearing. When he pressed the clutch PEDAL IN he had no noise when sitting idle. When he let the clutch PEDAL OUT in neural the throwout bearing made all kinds of noise. If he was was booze cruising on the trails, you could hear his throwout bearing when he was crawling by. He finally had me help him change the throwout bearing and no more noise or problems with the new bearing.

The original poster could be hearing either noise or one or another. You and I have not heard the noise. Please do not tell the original poster it IS NOT the throwout bearing.

Your first paragraph is confusing.

My buddy had a Cherokee with a 5 speed with a bad throwout bearing. When he pressed the clutch PEDAL IN he had no noise when sitting idle. When he let the clutch PEDAL OUT in neural the throwout bearing made all kinds of noise. If he was was booze cruising on the trails, you could hear his throwout bearing when he was crawling by. He finally had me help him change the throwout bearing and no more noise or problems with the new bearing.

The original poster could be hearing either noise or one or another. You and I have not heard the noise. Please do not tell the original poster it IS NOT the throwout bearing.

Maybe I was unclear. A bad throw out bearing makes noise when the clutch is depressed (IE to shift gears). This is because when you push the clutch pedal in the clutch fork moves the throw out bearing into the fingers of the clutch to release it (in simple terms at least). The throw out bearing has to spin when this happens. (I've attached a video below).

I've also found this website. Really helpful for diagnosing bad throw out bearings. The OP could look at this to diagnose whether it is a bad throw out bearing.
https://wheelzine.com/symptoms-of-bad-throwout-bearing

If he is hearing a noise while sitting in neutral at idle, then there is a very small chance it is the throw out bearing. If he doesn't hear a noise when pushing the clutch in then I would basically guarantee it isn't the throw out bearing.

The NV3550's are just loud transmissions and take some getting used to. This question is asked all the time because of how unnerving the noise is. But the true answer is that it is just normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: bromel
Maybe I was unclear. A bad throw out bearing makes noise when the clutch is depressed (IE to shift gears). This is because when you push the clutch pedal in the clutch fork moves the throw out bearing into the fingers of the clutch to release it (in simple terms at least). The throw out bearing has to spin when this happens. (I've attached a video below).

I've also found this website. Really helpful for diagnosing bad throw out bearings. The OP could look at this to diagnose whether it is a bad throw out bearing.
https://wheelzine.com/symptoms-of-bad-throwout-bearing

If he is hearing a noise while sitting in neutral at idle, then there is a very small chance it is the throw out bearing. If he doesn't here a noise when pushing the clutch in then I would basically guarantee it isn't the throw out bearing.

The NV3550's are just loud transmissions and take some getting used to. This question is asked all the time because of how unnerving the noise is. But the true answer is that it is just normal.

Aight. I guess what I seen and heard with my own eyes and help fix was a dream.

Dumb as this may sound, I had a rattling sound and I have an automatic. I chased the rattle for about a month and changed a couple front end parts. Didn't go away. I was under the jeep one day looking at something smacked the trans skid plate. That replicated the rattle. Come to find out a bolt on the drivers side had come loose. I should say s nutcert came loose. Couldn't tighten it so I cut a washer and forced it between bolt and frame. NO more rattle.

Reactions: AndyG
Aight. I guess what I seen and heard with my own eyes and help fix was a dream.

The throwout bearing is not in use when your foot is off the pedal. Jodomcfrodo is right. Are you sure you didn't replace the pilot bearing?

Anyway, OP, I have a 2000 with the same transmission. When I first picked it up, I was worried about the sound as well. It's just a noisy transmission. If you switch to Redline MTL, you can dampen the noise slightly, but it still sounds like a bucket of marbles rolling around in neutral.

Great info guys I guess I'll have to get used to the noise for now. Might do a bit of things in the spring but for now will keep driving it. I really appreciate you all replying it really helps us new jeep owners out!!

It's normal , and it's basically gear movement from engine vibration at rest, because the oil is down low in the tranny at rest .

25 percent Conventional Lucas Oil Stabilizer and Valvoline Syncromesh or redline mtl -90 will stop it usually , but never rule out that it can make that noise.... particularly in very hot conditions.

Nothing is being damaged and no animals are being hurt .

Also, if anyone ever touches you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable , just say no.

Reactions: R1PPLE41
Hey guys. It's my first winter with the 2002 5-speed and now that it's cold I seem to be experiencing similar noises coming from the bell housing area. Mine are pretty similar to the sound of water hitting an exhaust manifold and vaporizing. Like a quick intermittent "pssss"

Stops after the car gets an opportunity to come to operating temps or if in idle.

Diagnosis?