Noise on Deceleration

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Regeared my 03 Rubicon 5 speed from 4:10 to 4:56

33 " KO2 tires

Front Drive shaft is out , needs u joints .

Love the new gearing .

Getting a steady hum on deceleration, loaded deceleration, like going down a mountain , seems to be from the front .

Could the shaft out cause that , we heard it on the stands too, like a yoke/seal friction noise?

Regeared my 03 Rubicon 5 speed from 4:10 to 4:56

33 " KO2 tires

Front Drive shaft is out , needs u joints .

Love the new gearing .

Getting a steady hum on deceleration, loaded deceleration, like going down a mountain , seems to be from the front .

Could the shaft out cause that , we heard it on the stands too, like a yoke/seal friction noise?
Did you happen to take any pics of your BL paint pattern to refer to?

No, and may make another stab at that .
It seems the front pinion is a likely culprit .I wonder if we set the gears up wrong.

On another note .....Anyone ever succeed at getting a locker sensor pin installed right with the carrier in?

Generally, if it is the differential, the usual culprit on decel is pinion bearings or ring and pinion. Being that you aren't "driving" it and only free wheeling, it would make more sense that it is the ring and pinion.

Will the drive shaft being in quieten down any.

I cannot see how it would. Are you sure its from the front? Seems odd since it is spinning without a load. It's been a long time but I cannot recall a gear howl/whine/noise from a front diff when free spinning. Of course it may not be the diff at all.

I agree Jerry , sure wish they made them d shaped with a twist and turn set screw in the outer end.

Ugh.

I cannot see how it would. Are you sure its from the front? Seems odd since it is spinning without a load. It's been a long time but I cannot recall a gear howl/whine/noise from a front diff when free spinning. Of course it may not be the diff at all.
It's just a hum , they marked good , so it may just need seated in a little .

Deceleration noise fixed , slop in rear pinion.

Getting closer to having this Jeep squared away I hope .

I was at the drive shaft place while my company mechanic did the manual trans fluid (Redline MTL) and installed front shaft .

He pulled the nut and washer , and seal, and had to shim the washer side of the bearing to get correct tension if I understood right . Made a total difference .

He tried the pinion side of the bearing first but it got worse .

Reactions: KCsTJ