NSG370 from an 08 JK

cpwolf

Texan
Supporting Member
There's a 2008 NSG370 with a bellhousing that needs some welding and avialble for $350.

I now have 2 05's and an 08 with the NSG. The 08 has ZERO issues, one of my 05's I had to rebuild (works perfectly, but a little bit of a fiasco that Shift forks not replaced....so cost me more in labor).

This newer to me 05 is in pristine condition all over. The only issue is the reverse. I'm curious how much effort goes into changing bell housings to mate up with the straight 6 4.0, and if it'll need a different input shaft. If I'm tearing into that....it's not worth it. For $350 and it's an easy switch....and the 08 has the corrected parts in there like my 08, then it's a worth while effort.

Yep, he beat me to it. I looked into this once and the NSG370 from the JK is a no go.

Maybe you can swap the internals over, but that's obviously not a small project by any means.

In the last 30 years as far as Jeep manuals go in front of a 6 cylinder...
Jeep used 3 transmissions
The AX-15 to 99 (1(a)
Then the NV3550 through 2004 (1(b)

Then.......

Then the Getrag 370.

Notice the gap i put between them?

Thats how far of a distant third I'd make this transmission.

And as far as them fixing the reverse issue later on.... LOL... from what? Really shitty to just shitty?

Plenty of 10,11,12 etc JK's come in here with reverse jumping right out of gear mid backing up. Or not going in reverse all the way instead hanging up thinking it's in reverse only to hear the infamous gnashing o' gear teeth.

I personally owned a 10, that did both in reverse.
I owned an 08 that was fine in reverse but extremely notchy between 2nd-3rd or 4th-3rd...and 5th-6th

It pisses me off Jeep hasn't used a real brute tranny since 1979...in a real Jeep (CJ)
with the T18.

Yes it's only a 4spd but it won't break..isn't notchy..and second to none off road.
Gas mileage was a concern but c'mon...it's a Jeep. Not having a 5th gear knocks the average mpg from 17 to 15??? Or 19 to 17.. Oh my dear lord what ever will we do. Yes I know the getrag is a 6spd but it came about because of being in bed with Daimler. This tranny was put in a Crossfire. Enough said.

Oh well..end of rant.

I'm not the biggest fan of the AX-15 or 3550 but I'm awarding both of them grand champion compared to the Getrag....which I loathe.

I would venture to guess that if you could strip the NSG from the JK down to the following, that it would bolt up to your 05 bell housing.

128961605_146813097173407_8036776201050241204_o.jpg

The AX-15 to 99 (1(a)

Then.......

Then the Getrag 370.

And as far as them fixing the reverse issue later on.... LOL... from what? Really shitty to just shitty?

Plenty of 10,11,12 etc JK's come in here with reverse jumping right out of gear mid backing up. Or not going in reverse all the way instead hanging up thinking it's in reverse only to hear the infamous gnashing o' gear teeth.

I owned an 08 that was fine in reverse but extremely notchy between 2nd-3rd or 4th-3rd...and 5th-6th

It pisses me off Jeep hasn't used a real brute tranny since 1979...in a real Jeep (CJ)
with the T18.

Yes it's only a 4spd but it won't break..isn't notchy..and second to none off road.
Gas mileage was a concern but c'mon...it's a Jeep. Not having a 5th gear knocks the average mpg from 17 to 15??? Or 19 to 17.. Oh my dear lord what ever will we do. Yes I know the getrag is a 6spd but it came about because of being in bed with Daimler. This tranny was put in a Crossfire. Enough said.

Oh well..end of rant.

I'm not the biggest fan of the AX-15 or 3550 but I'm awarding both of them grand champion compared to the Getrag....which I loathe.
The AX-15 to 99 (1(a)

Then.......

Then the Getrag 370.

with the T18.

Oh well..end of rant.

I actually own 3 of them, and two run really well. Had a 78 CJ5 with the V8 304 AMC, couldn’t complain, but I think you’re over estimating mileage, felt like I got less than 19 back then or worse.

You definitely hate the NSG, that’s fine, but I have 2 that we never have an issue. My younger son is driving the 08 to Football and Wrestling daily and never grinds a gear. Granted the fixed ones work flawlessly, shouldn’t have to do that.

I actually own 3 of them, and two run really well. Had a 78 CJ5 with the V8 304 AMC, couldn’t complain, but I think you’re over estimating mileage, felt like I got less than 19 back then or worse.

You definitely hate the NSG, that’s fine, but I have 2 that we never have an issue. My younger son is driving the 08 to Football and Wrestling daily and never grinds a gear. Granted the fixed ones work flawlessly, shouldn’t have to do that.
But notice you state...and that's my point...

"The fixed ones. "

Why do they need fixed? I swear it's always something with that car transmission...cough cough...I mean Getrag Mercedes box.
Notchy...
(which i can't really hold against it because I'm pretty sure a prerequisite for getting a tranny contract with Jeep was it had to be notchy) AX-15 and 3550...a lot are notchy from those too but usually only 1 gear.
The getrag suffers from being notchy in multiple gears, jumping out of gear, not engaging in a gear without a J.C. blessing...

My point on the mileage aspect was more about the what instead how much when they stopped giving the option of a T18.

As in WTF.
Having a 5th or 6th gear might net you 2 mpg more over a tank of gas...
Running a t176, sr4/t4 (all three are 4 speeds but lighter than the T-18),
T5 , all complete garbage in a Jeep. The 176 was fair.....as in fairly better than the others and fairly light years still inferior to the T18.
All were significantly lighter than the t18 however.

So the goal there was via gearing or weight or both to eek out better MPG.

As I said perhaps you realize 2 mpg more over a tank of fuel but WhoTH cares when you're talking mileage in the teens regardless. Is the sky really falling if one got 15 mpg vs. 17 mpg.
If one needs great fuel economy then one isn't motoring a real Jeep regardless.

As far as the Getrag goes... yes there are people that have no issues with it and I hope they never do.
I hope yours after those repairs run forever problem free. I really do.