TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
So I guess it's time to upgrade my scanner. I been chasing a check engine light on my son's 98'XJ and my Actron U-Scan would not pick up any codes. Finally sent him over to my local Advance Auto after talking to them and they picked up a P0135 code which turned out to be the fuse for the O2 senser heater.

So what do you guys recommend for a good middle of the road scanner.

So I guess it's time to upgrade my scanner. I been chasing a check engine light on my son's 98'XJ and my Actron U-Scan would not pick up any codes. Finally sent him over to my local Advance Auto after talking to them and they picked up a P0135 code which turned out to be the fuse for the O2 senser heater.

So what do you guys recommend for a good middle of the road scanner.

I copied and pasted this from another post I made. If you want a cheap scanner that does a lot of the features of the high end ones (not to mention a badass color display, and very easy to use), check this out:

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I purchased the Launch cReader VI+ a year ago from Amazon. I bought it because I needed an OBDII diagnostics tool for my TJ, but figured it would also be helpful for other vehicles we own as well.

Anyways, after a year of owning this I'm very happy to report that for the price this thing is absolutely amazing. Full color LCD display, super easy to understand interface, live diagnostics, built in codes (and descriptions of the codes and what they mean) for almost every make and model of modern vehicle from Jeep to BMW, etc.

If you're looking for a diagnostic tool but don't want to spend a ton of money, I seriously can't recommend this thing enough. It's become a toolbox staple of mine.

Anyways, here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP8CV7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have a good handheld scanner (can't remember who makes it though), but I mostly use an Android phone with an ELM327 device, and the app Torque Pro. If you have an Android phone, then you're looking at spending under $30 for that setup.

Reactions: Stinger
I have a good handheld scanner (can't remember who makes it though), but I mostly use an Android phone with an ELM327 device, and the app Torque Pro. If you have an Android phone, then you're looking at spending under $30 for that setup.
I do have an Android phone which I used for Actron scanner. That setup worked fine for me, unfortunately it seems that the Actron scanner I have is below par.

I do have an Android phone which I used for Actron scanner. That setup worked fine for me, unfortunately it seems that the Actron scanner I have is below par.
Not familiar with the U-Scan Actron model. I am still using an Actron 935 and it works well unless you need tranny or brake data.

Well my boys gave me a new scanner, it's an Innova 3150E with a 2" color display. Just spent the last 2 hours downloading software, updating and registering the thing. Only problem now is out of the 4 Jeep in the household there are no codes to read.

Reactions: Chris
I've seen a lot of posts around the internet from people adding real time OBD2 scanners along with an app on their smartphone to their TJ.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFFG1EO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, I have yet to read why people are adding them. Do they provide data that is helpful but not available via the standard dash gauges?

You can get live readouts from the engine as it's running which can be helpful when diagnosing problems.

My OBDII scanner has this feature built in, but you can also go the smartphone route like you're talking about.

Reactions: Frank