Hey guys, what are the odds if I recrimp my radiator tanks it will last a few years?

Mine went a few years back (I'm sure it was the original) got it crimped but didn't hold...ended up biting the bullet and bought a brass core one. Works very well and no complaints. My temp gauge dropped back to just under half way after I installed it and has never moved since then even in the middle of summer stuck in traffic.
Mopar's here are close to a grand or $750USD

Reactions: Squatch
Sucks for us. "Better living through chemistry", my ass. I hate plastic. Well...mostly...
I don't hate plastic...its how I make my living...I do, however, think there was a time in which it was overused. Like anything, people get excited about the "newest, latest, and greatest (maybe not) and over react. Product engineers are no exception. When you are trying to design something for an OEM and your profit margins are razor thin (less than 10 percent) any material savings you can come up with tends to be tried...sometimes to the detriment of the overall product.

Reactions: Squatch
I don't hate plastic...its how I make my living...I do, however, think there was a time in which it was overused. Like anything, people get excited about the "newest, latest, and greatest (maybe not) and over react. Product engineers are no exception. When you are trying to design something for an OEM and your profit margins are razor thin (less than 10 percent) any material savings you can come up with tends to be tried...sometimes to the detriment of the overall product.
Well stated, and from an insider's perspective!

Reactions: 801 Driver
My tank just cracked on my 04 tj. The local radiator shop tells me the the plastic lasts about 12 years.
I understand from the above posts & posts from the past that OEM is the way to go. Does that mean
from the Jeep dealer or just a OEM from the local radiator shop. Napa quoted $140---O'Riellys quoted
$133 & the radiator shop wanted $105 and claims he has had no complaints on what he sells.

RockAuto has 'em. Mopar and OMIX-ADA (which is supposed to be almost as good as OEM):

OMIX-ADA 1710145 {#55037653AC} Rebate/Promotion Available!
sale5gray.png
Info
1 Row; TJ Model

OMIX-ADA 1710145
close12_1.gif

17101.45__ra_t.jpg

17101.45__ra_t.jpg
$175.99 $0.00 $175.99
">
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

OMIX-ADA 1710114 {#55037652AA} Rebate/Promotion Available!
sale5gray.png
Info
Aluminum core, plastic tank, 1 core, 4.0L/2.5L/242 CI Engine

prevIMGbig.png

OMIX-ADA 1710114
close12_1.gif

17101.14%20(2)__ra_t.jpg

17101.14%20(2)__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$188.79 $0.00 $188.79
">
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

MOPAR 55037652AA {#52028123AB, 92101AOE} Info
OPEN BODY 2-DOOR; Manual Trans.

prevIMGbig.png

MOPAR 55037652AA
close12_1.gif

55037652AA-0-ANG__ra_t.jpg

55037652AA-0-ANG__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$194.79 $0.00 $194.79
">
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

MOPAR 55037653AB Info
Automatic trans. (Only 2 Remaining)

prevIMGbig.png

MOPAR 55037653AB
close12_1.gif

55037653AB-0-ANG__ra_t.jpg

55037653AB-0-ANG__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$277.79 $0.00 $277.79
">
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

MOPAR 55037654AB Info
Exc. Middle East Equipment Group; OPEN BODY 2-DOOR

prevIMGbig.png

MOPAR 55037654AB
close12_1.gif

55037654AB-1-FRT__ra_t.jpg

55037654AB-1-FRT__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$332.79 $0.00 $332.79
">
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

My tank just cracked on my 04 tj. The local radiator shop tells me the the plastic lasts about 12 years.
I understand from the above posts & posts from the past that OEM is the way to go. Does that mean
from the Jeep dealer or just a OEM from the local radiator shop. Napa quoted $140---O'Riellys quoted
$133 & the radiator shop wanted $105 and claims he has had no complaints on what he sells.
At those prices, I can almost guarantee that you are not getting an OEM (Mopar) radiator. If you're not in a crunch, order a Mopar radiator and have it installed. It's your best bet, bar none.

Some of my long lost buddies went crazy on 3 rows aluminum mods. .
More rows don't necessarily equate to better cooling like some may guess. In fact, the design is more important than the number of rows. Jeep went from a 2-row to a 1 row radiator in either '98 or '99 which gave better cooling and a more reliable radiator.

I have a used radiator made by visteon. It worked fine when it was removed. Located in San Fernando Valley. Great for someone who can't afford the oem one and needs something to hold them over. Price is free. I'll ship on your dime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
Order from a Chrysler/jeep dealer only.
There are plenty of sources besides the dealer for Mopar radiators that will be WAY less costly. www.wermopar.com is just one example. They're also usually available even on sites like Amazon.com. A dealer is the last place I'd go to for something like that. Once the p/n is known, Google will find the best prices which will seldom (never in my opinion) be from a local Jeep/Chrysler dealer.

Reactions: KCsTJ and jeep_boss
There are plenty of sources besides the dealer for Mopar radiators that will be WAY less costly. www.wermopar.com is just one example. They're also usually available even on sites like Amazon.com. A dealer is the last place I'd go to for something like that. Once the p/n is known, Google will find the best prices which will seldom (never in my opinion) be from a local Jeep/Chrysler dealer.

Totally agree. The only things that I went to the dealer for were oil filters, my new coul pack (seen too many fakes on the net), and fluid.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I'm not sure there are any sources besides a Chrysler/jeep dealer for a genuine Mopar radiator.

I did not say your local dealer.

Wermopar is a Chrysler/jeep dealer that simply sells parts online at a price below retail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCsTJ