Oil pressure question

dvTJ

Yet another oil pressure question. My 02 with 83k miles never goes below 40 on the oil pressure gauge. It goes up to 60 before it's completely warmed up, but hovers between 40-55 most of the time. Since the rule of thumb is 10 PSI per 1k RPMs this seems pretty high. I'm wondering if I should start looking into this further or not worry too much.

Newer TJs like yours were reprogrammed to keep the indicator at or near midscale so long as the real underlying oil pressure is within limits. 60 psi seems a tad high though, what oil viscosity are you running? Is the factory oil pressure sender still installed?

Newer TJs like yours were reprogrammed to keep the indicator at or near midscale so long as the real underlying oil pressure is within limits. 60 psi seems a tad high though, what oil viscosity are you running? Is the factory oil pressure sender still installed?

Good question on the factory sender. I need to check that. I've only had it a couple of months. Viscosity is 10w30. It's got the "ticking" sound when I first start it but goes away within 5 minutes or so. I've put a stethoscope all over the engine and can't seem to pinpoint that. Other than that seems to run smooth.

Last edited:
Good question on the factory sender. I need to check that. Viscosity is 10w30. It's got the "ticking" sound when I first start it but goes away within 5 minutes or so. I've put a stethoscope all over the engine and can't seem to pinpoint that. Other than that seems to run smooth.
Sometimes a ticking at startup can be traced to a defective oil filter with a leaky anti-drainback valve. When it leaks it can allow the oil in the top-end of the engine to drain out and cause a dry start. Try a Fram Tough Guard TG16 which has an upgraded silicone anti-drainback valve and a 99% filtration efficiency. I switched to that particular filter years ago after figuring out it's a great quality filter.

Reactions: mrjp and dvTJ
Sometimes a ticking at startup can be traced to a defective oil filter with a leaky anti-drainback valve. When it leaks it can allow the oil in the top-end of the engine to drain out and cause a dry start. Try a Fram Tough Guard TG16 which has an upgraded silicone anti-drainback valve and a 99% filtration efficiency. I switched to that particular filter years ago after figuring out it's a great quality filter.

Ok thanks for the advice! I had the oil changed when I bought it, but I'm going to do it again myself soon just to make sure it's done right and I'll go with the Fram filter.