OPDA?

Leahatrill

TJ Enthusiast
Does anyone know anything about the oil pump drive assembly and it needing to be synced a year later after installation ?

I replaced mine this time last year— followed all the right procedures. Engine top dead Center. Fired up and didn’t show one sign of it being off since done. Does it absolutely NEED to be synced? What are some symptoms of it being off? Has any of you TJ owners had any experience with this.

Yes. The OPDA has about a 10* or so tolerance on the sync. You can be right on that edge of the tolerance at install and everything seem fine with no CELs or symptoms that it is not exactly "in time." Only way to ensure that you get the synch exactly is to use a DRB to set it. As Blaine has said, "Find someone with a DRB to set the timing on the OPDA. That is the only way to get it exact. We've done many and the OPDA units all look about the same rotation until we get them on the DRB. The system will compensate for 10 degrees of misalignment. If you are at the edge of that range, slop in the gears will move it out of time."

Are you experiencing anything abnormal? Why do you ask?

Reactions: JMT
Reactions: Leahatrill
I replaced the opda around 3yrs ago. Use Crown opda and stock sensor, watch lots of youtube videos and read lots of write ups. No problems with install ran great for 5 or so months.Then had cel that wouldn't go away. Took to my mechanic and and synced both the cam and crank sensors. Haven't had a issue since and both sensors are stock.

Reactions: Leahatrill
Since replacing the sensor it fixed the problem ...Jeep hasn’t bucked or wanted to stall at 2000rpm. The box is in my Jeep I’m not sure which brand it is I’ll check in a bit.

I’m asking if it needs to be synced because I’m wondering if it will it cause other issues like throwing codes for 02sensors

Sync code will typically show as P0016 (correlation of camshaft and crankshaft positions is incorrect) after the engine reaches operating temp, IF the sync position (last time properly synced) set in the PCM is outside the 10 degrees or so allowed. If you are within the accepted rotation range, but near the boundary, not sure if you will pop the code in this case, but timing won’t be ideal and you may have other problems.

The P0344 code is reported because of an entirely different reason as I explained above (faulty camshaft sensor or wobble\gap issue causing signal to be lost).

Now, if you have PCM issues (it is going bad), OR a PCM program flash version from Chrysler that is older and does’t fix known O2 codes from popping prematurely (my 05 had a flash done IIRC), then this is a losing battle, even if your O2 sensors are good and your cats are good and not leaking pre-o2 sensor.

Make sure you are clearing all the codes each time you change something, and then see what comes back and in what order. If the PCM is working good, it will tell you something with the codes it pops.

Sync code will typically show as P0016 (correlation of camshaft and crankshaft positions is incorrect) after the engine reaches operating temp, IF the sync position (last time properly synced) set in the PCM is outside the 10 degrees or so allowed. If you are within the accepted rotation range, but near the boundary, not sure if you will pop the code in this case, but timing won’t be ideal and you may have other problems.

The P0344 code is reported because of an entirely different reason as I explained above (faulty camshaft sensor or wobble\gap issue causing signal to be lost).

Now, if you have PCM issues (it is going bad), OR a PCM program flash version from Chrysler that is older and does’t fix known O2 codes from popping prematurely (my 05 had a flash done IIRC), then this is a losing battle, even if your O2 sensors are good and your cats are good and not leaking pre-o2 sensor.

Make sure you are clearing all the codes each time you change something, and then see what comes back and in what order. If the PCM is working good, it will tell you something with the codes it pops.
So I’m assuming I should just switch out the 02 sensors then and wait to see what my computer will do?

So I’m assuming I should just switch out the 02 sensors then and wait to see what my computer will do?
Not necessarily, I have not reviewed all of your O2 sensor codes to jump to that conclusion. This thread was about the OPDA, I just wanted to mention the fact that your P0344 code you mentioned in the other thread is not the same code as when there is an OPDA sync issue. I am also suggesting, that each time you change anything, make sure your clear the codes with a scanner and see what comes back and in what order. If the PCM is in good shape, it is giving you valuable info that should be used to troubleshoot. If the PCM is bad, the codes will also mean something to folks that know how to diagnose a bad PCM (aka WranglerFix etc.). Too often I see folks getting codes, but the advice given doesn’t follow what the code is actually telling them.

I’ve cleared the codes at least 10 times now. With removing my rear cat. With replacing CPS. Replacing cat. Replacing b1s1 02 sensor. Etc etc lol. Immediately my pcm recognizes 0038 ASAP!! As soon as the engine fires that code appears. Shortly after 0058. Then 0152 and then lastly 0132. I’m waiting until Monday to do the sensors because it’s freezing outside. I also work tomorrow— just hope nothing major happens while driving25km tomorrow. I drove yesterday to grab the 02sensors 35km each way and it had no issues just bad gas mileage but what’s new. It wasn’t running rough at all at idle, maybe 1-2 small misfires....poor acceleration at times when switching from 2-3gear ....that’s it. I’m just scared to drive in potentially destroying my precats if they arnt bad right now...

Not necessarily, I have not reviewed all of your O2 sensor codes to jump to that conclusion. This thread was about the OPDA, I just wanted to mention the fact that your P0344 code you mentioned in the other thread is not the same code as when there is an OPDA sync issue. I am also suggesting, that each time you change anything, make sure your clear the codes with a scanner and see what comes back and in what order. If the PCM is in good shape, it is giving you valuable info that should be used to troubleshoot. If the PCM is bad, the codes will also mean something to folks that know how to diagnose a bad PCM (aka WranglerFix etc.). Too often I see folks getting codes, but the advice given doesn’t follow what the code is actually telling them.
I think her 3 threads should have been one thread so all information was consolidated to one area.

Reactions: mots
Exactly.
I had some guy tell me my OPDA needs to be synced ASAP and that the timing is off etc. I replaced it this time last year and everything was done text book— the engine was top dead Center — it fired up and not a misfire not a sound since done. Now. It may have wobbled I really don’t know. But that 0344 code Is for the CPS. That’s what I told him. I said wouldn’t there be another code showing if the timing was off ? He said no. And that with them not being synced they can cause all sorts of intermittent issues. I replaced the CPS and the issue I was having last week is no longer and the code hasn’t returned ....

Sorry guys. Having Jeep issues and have a lot of questions lol
No worries. It would help the diagnoses if all information could be available in one place. This thread didn't mention any codes but the two O2 threads did. The smart ones on here will help get it sorted out.

I was also wondering about a fuse for the 02 sensors — could it be a blown fuse is causing this or? But I can’t for the life of me find anything under my hood or glovebox that shows a fuse for the 02sensors....unless it’s the fuel one or smething

either way I’m replacing all 3 sensors Monday before noon and if this doesn’t fix the issue smething is bad with my precat, harness, or worse case scenario I need a new computer