Opinion on TJ for sale near me

JohnnyQPublic

I'm no expert on rust, as we don't have that problem here in AZ, but it doesn't look bad, especially compared to a lot of others I've seen posted here. The miles are pretty high at 200k+, but other than that, it looks ok. I'd want to pay less personally due to the high mileage.

The frame around the skid plate looks a little skeptical but it may not be THAT bad. It is coming from a heavily salted region though so it may have more rust than you expect, or it may have less than you expect. I’d offer about $5k based on the mileage being so high, but 200k miles wouldn’t push me away from it.

I would have it checked out by a mechanic familiar with jeeps, while it is up on the lift have them loosen the 6 skid plate bolts and see if they back out or just spin. If they spin, blow this off. For that kind of money there is not a whole lot out there that is not totally rusted.

Bit of advice. I would run the VIN and see what the axle ratio is. Since it is an X more than likely has 3.07 gears. I have an X and wish that I would have held out for a Sport or a Rubicon. Bottom line 3.07s suck. So you either regear or live with it. On the plus side the hard top and full doors are a plus. Would definitiely want to see more pictures of the undeside. Good luck with your search.

Another Wrangler TJ has posted on Craigslist located pretty close to me.
Any thoughts about price and pics of frame seller posted? The frame looks OK to my eyes, but I'm new to the TJ buying market.
He’s asking $6K but KBB has good condition 04’ Wrangler X w/ 200K miles from $4-6K.
Any opinions on fair price for this particular Jeep?

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-holland-04-jeep-wranglerhardtop-and/7013809900.html
Thanks,
John

I got mine recently and that one looks a little rough to me. Used that black glossy stuff to make it look nicer. Thoroughly check for rust and really listen to the engine. The mileage is a little high but if you fall in love with it I say try to bring it down $500

As Ranger101 said, I'd definitely look at the area around the skid plate and frame. My guess is the rust there is worse than it looks. I've seen numerous cases where the skid plate bolts are rusted and won't come out. Also, closely inspect the frame areas where the lower control arms mount to the frame, as well as the floor and cross member area above the rear axle and gas tank.

In terms of the miles, 200K doesn't scare me at all. The last three Jeeps I've bought had almost 200k on them when I got them. That said, you obviously need to inspect the engine for anything major and plan on additional money for routine maintenance items like cooling system, ignition system, brakes, oil pump, seals gaskets, etc. Like others have said, don't be afraid to take it to a place that does purchase inspections.

The best overall advice you can get when looking at any Jeep is:

1. Do your home work on what to look at/for (Or, have someone that can help you)
  2. Have money ready to buy (Cash is King) and, most importantly
  3. Be willing to walk away if it doesn't feel right (Patience is a virtue!)

Thanks for all the replies.
I’m new to Jeeps and their rust issues.
After looking at the pics of the skid plate (and googling skid pad/frame rust on Jeeps) think you’re right about this one.
I‘m going to pass on this one and try to remain patient in my search.
Thanks again for all the information you guys posted, it was very educational and helpful.
Really liking this site and the community here.

Reactions: lowranger
That TJ looks really good but the potential problem I see is the rust between the frame and the skid plate. It may not even be a problem. I'd be really tempted to try and loosen those bolts to make sure the nuts don't just spin in the frame. I'd also hate to try to explain to the seller why the skid plate is hanging down when I brought it back.

Damn...decisions decisions decisions.

The only thing worse than paying too much for a TJ is paying too little.

Reactions: Flivver250
Often spending 2-3X what they are asking for this one is the cheaper way to go. A little rust in awkward areas can gobble up thousands quickly. Be fussy, make a list of "must haves" and then search for that. Place rust free at the top of the list. Sooner or later a winter running northeastern Jeep will bite you in the backside.

Reactions: Irun
Another Wrangler TJ has posted on Craigslist located pretty close to me.

John, I'm pretty close by & I'd be happy to go look at something local if you find it to give my two cents - also, check out Philly Craigslist because it'll encompass the entire region of southeastern PA plus parts of NJ & DE, a much wider net than Lancaster. Tons of shitty TJs sprinkled around that area to look at but there are always a few gems mixed in there, just gotta look.

Since it is an X more than likely has 3.07 gears. I have an X and wish that I would have held out for a Sport or a Rubicon. Bottom line 3.07s suck. So you either regear or live with it.

Meh, it’s only an issue if you make it one by slapping on taller tires & when you do that you’re re-gearing anyway, if you’re doing it right that is… my X came with 3.07s too & went to 4.56s to properly match my tires so what difference would it have made if I held out for a model that came out of the factory with 3.73s or 4.10s? Either of those gear sets would've ended up in the recycling bin just as quick as the 3.07s.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and jazngab