Overheating problems

Jamiesjeep

Hey folks, I'm having problems with my 04 rubi overheating. Replace thermostat, fan clutch and cap. Water pump is 2 years old and not leaking. Pressure tested system to 18 #'s and holds pressure. 125,000 miles on original radiator. No water in engine oil or trans. Sluggish pulling up hills.Any suggestions?

Two things, what thermostat did you put in, and have you flushed the cooling system with something like thermocure? Your Jeep is nearly 20 years old now and has likely not had proper cooling system maintenance, which leads to a buildup of sediments (rust, scale, etc.) in the water jackets and radiator, reducing cooling.

Also, when you refill, use distilled water not tap water.

Last edited:
Not to be obtuse, but have you checked to make sure the radiator is full of coolant? I always like to rule out the obvious stuff first.

Reactions: BlueC
Hey folks, I'm having problems with my 04 rubi overheating. Replace thermostat, fan clutch and cap. Water pump is 2 years old and not leaking. Pressure tested system to 18 #'s and holds pressure. 125,000 miles on original radiator. No water in engine oil or trans. Sluggish pulling up hills.Any suggestions?

Check your catalytic converters.