P2098 engine code help

Not sure, just bought a smoke machine to check that next. I did install a flow master full cat and exhaust system.
Still need help or ideas. Thanks. Will update if that is it. My valve cover is leaking also, could this be it?

Things that can cause a P2098 code include:
  • Low fuel pressure caused by a clogged filter, failing fuel pump, failed fuel pressure regulator or clogged or leaking injectors.
  • Rough running engine due to misfiring plugs. Many engines have misfire codes to indicate the cylinder effected, such as P0307 for number 7.
  • A large vacuum leak would cause a massive amount of un-metered air to enter the intake manifold resulting in an overly lean mixture.
  • A large air leak at or near the number one oxygen sensor would also cause a lean mixture.
  • A plugged converter will cause of host of driveability problems as well as set this code. A severely plugged converter will result in the inability to increase rpm when under load. Look for a code such as P0421 — catalytic converter efficiency below threshold if the converter indicating a faulty converter.
  • A faulty oxygen sensor. This will set a code in itself, however, a faulty oxygen sensor does not automatically condemn the sensor. The code just means that the sensor signal was not within specifications. An air leak or any of the above will cause an erroneous signal. There is a multitude of O2 codes relating to O2 performance which gives a clue to the problematic area.
  • Rusty exhaust systems, cracked exhaust manifolds or damaged or missing gaskets or donuts will cause air leaks.
The first things I would be looking at would be an exhaust leak, followed by O2 sensors and a plugged cat.

For what it's worth (while you're in there), O2 sensors are a general maintenance item that should be replaced roughly every 80k miles, regardless of whether they are bad or not. They affect the performance of your engine, and replacing them is something you should do, especially if you don't know when the last time they were done is.

Check out this thread for more info: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Reactions: il buono
Wow, thanks. I went through the o2 sensor problems. I replaced all 4 with densos and still got codes, I had a bad cat and replaced that, I also had a misfire code and replaced all fuel injectors. I still had o2 codes and replaced them again with ntk and codes are gone. Jeep runs fantastic...no problems. This is a new code that showed up and I do have a valve cover leak. I just bought a smoke machine to check for leaks...will probable sell jeep soon, tired of fixing it. Thanks so much for you time and happy New year👍

Happy New year😃 just wanted to update problems and repairs on my 06 jeep rubicon.
I had multiple o2 sensor codes misfire codes, and cat codes. I replaced all 4 sensors with densos...codes came back, replaced them again with NTK.(factory o2 sensors only) and codes are gone. My misfire code was 2 bad fuel injectors. I replaced them all. I removed my cats from the manifold and cats where broke. Replaced the whole system with flowmaster. Sorry I don't recall the specific codes but these parts fixed some of my jeeps issues. It does have 160,000 miles on it. Hope this helps some one. Thanks.

Reactions: Chris
Happy New year😃 just wanted to update problems and repairs on my 06 jeep rubicon.
I had multiple o2 sensor codes misfire codes, and cat codes. I replaced all 4 sensors with densos...codes came back, replaced them again with NTK.(factory o2 sensors only) and codes are gone. My misfire code was 2 bad fuel injectors. I replaced them all. I removed my cats from the manifold and cats where broke. Replaced the whole system with flowmaster. Sorry I don't recall the specific codes but these parts fixed some of my jeeps issues. It does have 160,000 miles on it. Hope this helps some one. Thanks.

Yep, heard this so many times before.

Not sure if you read that thread I linked to above (The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread), but if you do, it mentions ONLY using NGK / NTK O2 sensors, and it even has a video in there explaining why it is that they are the only O2 sensors that work on our Jeeps.

Anyways, glad you got it fixed, and more importantly, thanks for the update!

Thanks for the right up Chris. I replaced my o2 sensors when I saw the codes, then replaced the car/exhaust. The codes came back a drive me crazy for weeks...looking at the wiring harness, bad new sensors...computer issues...what's wrong. Then I stumbled upon your post...it was a real life saver...bought the new sensors and it cleared up that problem. Wanted to say a Thanks for posting that...it really helped and saved me money and time. Happy New Year👍

Reactions: Blondie70
Anyone have this code before P2098?
Possible problem or fix. I have a 06 rubicon 4.0 tj. Thanks
By BLKOUT, I am looking into this same issue. I just picked up an 06 (which o honestly think is yours you may have sold). Did you happen to trade this vehicle in? Looking to either get with you on a final fix, or link up on where you left off.

I got p2098 and p0058..i know what the issue is...the bolts on exhaust header back out just enough that it has a small exhaust leak there..i tighten them and codes clear for a few months then they back out again...i have refrained from red lock tight thus far..but may have to...just to add...i put new cats on about a year ago along with all new NTK sensors..i think i may add another exhaust hanger up closer and see if that helps keep the bolts from backing out.

I got p2098 and p0058..i know what the issue is...the bolts on exhaust header back out just enough that it has a small exhaust leak there..i tighten them and codes clear for a few months then they back out again...i have refrained from red lock tight thus far..but may have to...just to add...i put new cats on about a year ago along with all new NTK sensors..i think i may add another exhaust hanger up closer and see if that helps keep the bolts from backing out.
The back out is likely due to thermal expansion and contraction. If you don't want to use loctite I'd suggest making sure you have some damn good locking washers.