Paint & rust treatment between fender and flare

Bert McMuppet

I'm replacing PO's extended fender flares with stock fender flares. While I have the fender flares off, I'd like to treat any rust or paint issues and do what I can to prevent similar damage in the future. I'd like to check that what I intend to do is more or less the consensus.

Most of the damage looks like it's due to scratching from debris caught between the fender and the flare. The rust is in the pitting and where the paint has been removed, and also in the nutserts (I got lucky and extracted the bolts from all but one nutsert, that is pictured):
IMG_20220214_121103.jpg

IMG_20220213_133008.jpg

IMG_20220214_120911.jpg

IMG_20220214_120925.jpg

I am thinking for the scratched paint, rust spots, & pitting, I'll take my Dremel wire cup and grind down to bare metal, treat with Evaporust, then prime and paint.

For the nutserts, I don't know whether it's worth treating them with Evaporust, or simply removing & replacing (I have new nutserts & access to a nutsert tool).

Finally, any advice on treating this area to prevent future damage between the flare & flare extender? Maybe it's worth getting some kind of paint protective film for this area?

And speaking of PPI, is this from the factory, or added on after? There are four, two on either side. My best guess is that these squares exist to keep debris & moisture out of the inner cavity. They likely need to be replaced, the adhesive is failing:
IMG_20220214_120918.jpg

Sounds like you're on the right track addressing the rust spots. As far as those taped up holes, according to several people on here they were used to move the tub down the assembly line during production.

Reactions: tr21triton
Thats a good idea to put a strip of clear film all the way around where the flares sit after paint.

Mine were starting to rust on my last Jeep too.