Paint under tailgate hinge

Karl

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m putting on a moryde set up on my tailgate for a new tire carrier.
upon removing a stock hinge, there’s no paint. For some reason I thought they would.

So what should I do? Just sand it down and put some rust paint on? The new hinge is going over it.

C0BF9D59-E711-4427-A056-70A5EE355899.jpeg

C5F2AE5A-040A-48F6-9209-94B7537857D7.jpeg

I would clean it first with hot soapy water or a cleaner that leaves little residue like 409

Then dry it and clean with alcohol

Then sand with 220

Then tack rag it

Then tape it off

Then prime with etching primer

Then lightly sand per required wait time

Then tack cloth it again

Then paint , 2-3 light coats , with a high quality enamel, like farm equipment type spray paint sold at Tractor supply if it wasn't going to show or needed to blend with the factory paint .

Reactions: 707kevin
So I’m putting on a moryde set up on my tailgate for a new tire carrier.
upon removing a stock hinge, there’s no paint. For some reason I thought they would.

So what should I do? Just sand it down and put some rust paint on? The new hinge is going over it.

View attachment 124822

View attachment 124823
I just left it.......

But in your case i would try to find some black paint the looks like it is close.
20190115_102846.jpg

Wire wheel it until all the rust is gone, mask it off, then spray it with a Krylon (or similar) rust paint.

Reactions: BlueChip
I wasn't even changing my hinges and painted under them. A day or two after they dried I added Fluid Film and put them back on.

I wanted to do the same with the door and windshield hinges but didn't want to create bigger problems removing them. They got Fluid Film around the edges and screws and I'm hoping for the best.

People in Arizona can get away with doing none of this.

Reactions: BlueChip and matkal
I wouldn't be afraid to clean the rust off and even use a little undercoat .

Undercoat down south, but in the rust belt up north go with a regular rust preventive paint like Rustolium. That goop likes to hide rust. Paint will bubble up or flake. Or a good coat of Cosmoline that can do a better job of fighting back rust and also repels any moisture. Overspray is easy to clean off and color match is not an issue.

Clean it and paint it, then when you put it back together put a small bead of black RTV on the top and side edges, but leave the bottom open. You can mold it with our finger before it dries to make a clean looking seal. That will keep most of the water out, but allow it to drain and dry out from underneath if anything does get in there.

Fixing what Jeep failed to do looks like a great improvement even though it will be hidden.

For some reason I've always liked amber rear turn signals, maybe it's from my days of driving/owning Volkswagens even though they weren't all like that.

Is that a rear fog light below it?

Fixing what Jeep failed to do looks like a great improvement even though it will be hidden.

For some reason I've always liked amber rear turn signals, maybe it's from my days of driving/owning Volkswagens even though they weren't all like that.

Is that a rear fog light below it?
The rear red light came with it. I’ve never had it hooked up. It’s a right hand drive it’s on the drivers side. Not sure what the Japanese man who owned it previously got it for.

The rear red light came with it. I’ve never had it hooked up. It’s a right hand drive it’s on the drivers side. Not sure what the Japanese man who owned it previously got it for.

I'd bet that being the drivers side from Japan makes the answer to my question a yes. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Reactions: Karl