Painted Rocker Guards

hyperRevue

Hi - I’ve looked all over and can’t find any examples of people painting their rocker guards to match their body color. My ‘01 is almost entirely stock (except a slight lift) and I sort of don’t like the look of the big, black metal guards. I’m not into off-roading, so durability isn’t a concern. I’m curious what people think of this. Terrible idea? Is there a reason no one really seems to do it?

This is my ‘01. My plan is to replace the rocker guard steps with tube steps and am trying to figure out what to do with the rocker panel. (Besides the mounting holes I’d want to cover, there seems to be some sort of bed liner painted under the guards - previous owner put these on).

Thanks!

IMG_2187.jpeg

Hi - I’ve looked all over and can’t find any examples of people painting their rocker guards to match their body color. My ‘01 is almost entirely stock (except a slight lift) and I sort of don’t like the look of the big, black metal guards. I’m not into off-roading, so durability isn’t a concern. I’m curious what people think of this. Terrible idea? Is there a reason no one really seems to do it?

Since most add rocker guards to actually use them; they tend to go black because it's easier to touch up.

Reactions: MikekiM and Zorba
Painted mine factory black along with a clear coat. Sure they will get beat up, but might as well look good doing it.

558535CA-B5F8-4775-81CB-99A8893F0766.jpeg

This is my ‘01. My plan is to replace the rocker guard steps with tube steps and am trying to figure out what to do with the rocker panel. (Besides the mounting holes I’d want to cover, there seems to be some sort of bed liner painted under the guards - previous owner put these on).

Thanks!

View attachment 519366

Paint or replace the flares and body match the rocker guard.

Paint or replace the flares and body match the rocker guard.

Yea, that pic is from last summer. The front flares have been replaced and better match the rear. But I’m convinced to paint the guards now. I think it looks so much cleaner.

Ugh. Don’t even say it. Part of me wants to leave it all be and not uncover anything. But the tub is mostly all rust free, except a couple small spots. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

That’s what I said about mine before I took off the Rubi rails and found THIS!!
There was some kind of cloth/fiberglass stuff in there from a prior repair. It was well hidden, but now I’m doing patch panels.
I hope yours is immaculate but I do see some skid and frame rust under her belly … 🫣🫣

IMG_1354.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Tob and Apparition

Thanks!

View attachment 519366

You could replace the step version with the same rocker guards without the step. They're made by the same outfit and are the same thing, just no steps.
1713376918718.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042741887...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That’s what I said about mine before I took off the Rubi rails and found THIS!!
There was some kind of cloth/fiberglass stuff in there from a prior repair. It was well hidden, but now I’m doing patch panels.
I hope yours is immaculate but I do see some skid and frame rust under her belly … 🫣🫣

View attachment 519542

That is what NH will do to vehicles, I wash and flush the frame on my sons crosstrek every time he comes home.