Piss & Moan Table

My kids’ teachers are no better. Their emails have words missing, misspelled, poor grammar, incorrect they’re/their/there choices … but at least they’re decorated with emojis!

Soon we’ll all be communicating via Neuralink and won’t need language anymore anyway.

Mrs. Cheesy was the Principals Secretary at an elementary school for 26 years. I constantly heard stories about poor grammar on written requests from teachers. She’d bring Xeroxed copies of the worst ones home for me to read.

My oldest daughter has a Masters in Social Science and had to take Remedial English her Freshman year of college. It seems she took to the ‘Creative Spelling’ taught during grade school just a bit too seriously. We tried to correct it but she inherited her Dad’s stubborn streak.

Reactions: B252
Since @sab corrected and made fun of this “OLD” man I just had to state I’m not sure if the correct use of who/whom is. 🫣😂🤣

Sorry, TJ Jim. My intent really wasn't to be a spelling nazi, just like your post wasn't meant in the nazi vein, either. I just had to rib you a little. I make those kinds of errors frequently (especially when I'm in a hurry and don't proof-read), but I always edit my posts to correct them if I notice due to pride in workmanship (if you look at my posts, you'll see a great many of them edited). :sneaky:

And, regarding who or whom in your sentence, the correct one is "who". I'm going to geek out a bit with the English language to explain why. If y'all are triggered by proper English, please stop reading now. You have been warned. :ROFLMAO:

The reason the proper form is "who" is that you are using an adjective clause to describe your neighbor - "who is a school teacher." The verb "is" in that clause is a linking verb. Linking verbs have a subject before them and a noun after them. You always use the form "who" when you are using it as a subject. Alternatively, you use "whom" when it is the object of a verb ("you believe whom?") or preposition ("you stole the Jeep of whom?")

Sorry, TJ Jim. My intent really wasn't to be a spelling nazi, just like your post wasn't meant in the nazi vein, either. I just had to rib you a little. I make those kinds of errors frequently (especially when I'm in a hurry and don't proof-read), but I always edit my posts to correct them if I notice due to pride in workmanship (if you look at my posts, you'll see a great many of them edited). :sneaky:

And, regarding who or whom in your sentence, the correct one is "who". I'm going to geek out a bit with the English language to explain why. If y'all are triggered by proper English, please stop reading now. You have been warned. :ROFLMAO:

The reason the proper form is "who" is that you are using an adjective clause to describe your neighbor - "who is a school teacher." The verb "is" in that clause is a linking verb. Linking verbs have a subject before them and a noun after them. You always use the form "who" when you are using it as a subject. Alternatively, you use "whom" when it is the object of a verb ("you believe whom?") or preposition ("you stole the Jeep of whom?")

I knew you were ribbing me. I just had to gig you back. I’ve got a pretty thick skin, so yo could poke at me all you want. Just don’t talk bad about my Jeep! 🤣

My kids’ teachers are no better. Their emails have words missing, misspelled, poor grammar, incorrect they’re/their/there choices … but at least they’re decorated with emojis!

Soon we’ll all be communicating via Neuralink and won’t need language anymore anyway.

I hope when they do the narrow link.It does a better job than talk to text. See that's what it looks like before I correct it.

Narrow link instead of neuralink because it doesn't like my thick Boston accent. I try to fix the mistakes but with my hand tremors it takes forever so a lot of stuff I don't bother trying to fix.

Reactions: TJ Jim and reddvltj

I've always had great grammar, blah, blah, blah - but I've always been unclear on who/whom.

Unfortunately, when one uses it correctly, one get's funny looks. Like when one uses the term "one." :ROFLMAO:

Yea, I hear you. "Whom" sounds obsolete, much like "Whilst". Or my favorite obsolete word "Mock" - that one needs to stay in the 19th century where it belongs!

But "get's" is possessive... ;)

Reading the the piss & moan comments in @Rubi04 's thread.
When you go to the local country diner they always have the Piss and Moan table, where the local guys come and sit together.

Fast forward, my son gets into High School and starts a group called Piss and Moan Table, BIG Mike Robinson Obama era generally the lunchroom food now destroyed. P&M would eat in the FFA food science room, where they had all the good shit...aka salt, order pizza, etc. I think they still have a text message group 5 years after graduating.

@Chris maybe a new off topic category?

FIXED

I voluntarily change the oil / perform service on the company equipment / vehicles, firstly because it gives me something to do when I have some time to kill and nothing else going on & secondly because the boss pays me in paper cash on the side after work doing it.

Anyways... Suggested on the "new" used work truck being at 5k miles since the last change we should think about changing the oil soon. I was then asked what the oil life remaining stated on the dash read :rolleyes:. He wanted to wait exactly until that additional remaining 50% of oil life was used 🤦‍♂️.

The truck has many frequent start and stops, 80% of the time short distance trips, 50% of the time towing heavy loaded trailers and spends most of its time on and around construction sites.

These current norm dealer recommended service intervals or 3yr 100k warranties are insane.. people just dont care to get it. This whole dispose of it and buy a new one mentality is crazy.

Granted the truck is running synthetic oil and doesnt burn it, I still dont believe waiting until the 10k mile mark is a great idea.. but then again, those that dont know dont care or want to know.

I finally just changed the oil and it was honestly pretty sad looking. Oh well.. it's not mine but I know how my own vehicles are maintained though :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: B252