Pitman arm not coming off

Are you using a puller? That combined with some hammer action on the side of the Pitman arm adjacent to where the steering shaft passes through does the trick. Maybe a spray of liquid wrench etc. so it gets into the splines. Incidentally, that's a tapered shaft so it can be on there tight, you really have to give the heave-ho to the wrench on the puller.

And if all else fails cut it off with a die grinder and chisel very carefully of course.
^This was the only solution for mine. I tried for 2 days, using high grade tools (Snap On & Mac), never could get it past an 1/8” of the splines.

if you have to cut them off do it like this .stay just off the splines and the last bit will crack.

68312329_385973238771032_657900899967959040_n.jpg

When I replaced the steering box on my '98 XJ I used a SnapOn pitman are puller, applied copious amounts of Kroil and PB Blaster several days ahead. The day of the removal I used ATF mixed with Acetone which has outstanding creeping capability. Loosened the pitman arm nut, but did not remove the nut, installed the puller and snugged it down, smacked the drive end of the puller with a large ball peen hammer, snugged the puller some more and slowly the pitman arm moved to the end of the shaft.
Once the pitman arm comes off... wire brush the splines and add a dab of anti seize before reinstalling

I also sprayed PB Blaster and it still won't come off.
Not that it's guaranteed you'd have better luck with a better penetrant but PB-Blaster is the worst of the penetrants. Tests have shown it is barely better than WD40 which is technically not a penetrant. Kroil, Liquid Wrench, and Break-Free, in that order, are all significantly better then PB Blaster.

Reactions: John Cooper