Prayers for New Zealand

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I just wanted to take a moment and speak about what happened in New Zealand, recently. I know that we have a few members on this forum from the islands, and at least one of them is someone that we hear from frequently, cracking wise and making us smile, laugh, and sometimes just roll our eyes in an "Only you, Kiwi!" kind of way. And, well, I just feel the need to say that my thoughts and prayers are with your country.

It is an unfortunate fact that here in the U.S., we have all too often witnessed the kind of violence that New Zealand just experienced. It shakes your sense of security in your own homeland, and makes you wonder if there is anyplace that is truly safe and immune to these kinds of violent acts. I can't help but wonder just what kind of human being could enter into a community and take it upon themselves to play God by ending the lives of so many, and forever changing the lives of those who survived. In fact, it could be argued that they forever changed the way of life in the country, itself. I'm sure that New Zealanders will prove to be a resilient lot, but no one should have to be tested in this manner. No one.

I'm a Christian. I'm a conservative, right-leaning, gun-toting American who has his own set of values, and his own way of looking at things. I do not agree with all religions. I do not agree with all governments. Hell, I don't even agree with all those that make the same claims I make on my religious and political beliefs. But I'll be damned if I will ever understand the mindset that would allow someone to carry out these acts of violence. I don't get it, and I never will.

For the country of New Zealand, and for the people there who call it home, I pray for you. You have been mercilessly dragged into a new reality that I would wish upon no one. This never should have happened. It never should happen anywhere, regardless of your political views or religious beliefs. The individual who carried this out was a coward, and represents no one but himself. I believe that. I need to believe that...

God Bless.
Mark

Last edited: