Preventing Corrosion Between Armor and Body

Yoda

TJ Enthusiast
You guys have any tips to prevent corrosion between armor and the body? For example I'll probably be getting some aluminum corner guards at some point. Do you use any silicone or anything to try and prevent water getting between the armor and the body panel?

I live in the rust belt and I want to make sure I do all I can to prevent corrosion and not speed it up. Thanks!

I think the best protection is being sure the paint is intact and the holes you drill have some sort of sealant or paint to prevent rust. I wouldn't put anything that would trap water. You just want to paint or protect all the steel as best as you can, especially where you drill the holes.

Reactions: eastbloc
Any time I put metal against metal like that I coat the entire surface with general purpose grease. I did that to the factory rocker guards on my the last 3 Rubicons and it completely stopped the corrosion.
I did the same thing when I installed aluminum belly skids on mu current JL.

Don't seal it off, what ever gets in has to have a way to get out.
What ever you use to seal, sooner or later will degrade and let things through. If it does not get out by itself, you have to have a way to get in there to do preventative maintenance, such as wash with water or use of metal protecting products.
I apply rtv on top to keep rain water away, but keep bottom and sides open to be able to get in there with water hose and rust preventing spray.

Reactions: lBasket
I put a few (2-3) light coats of Flex Seal (the aerosol can version) on the mounting surfaces of my MORryde tailgate kit to act as a barrier or gasket between it and the tailgate and tub. Turned out great.

I'll be adding proper sliders in the near future and will do the same there.

I hope nobody takes my advice too seriously, I live in California and we aren't exactly in the rust belt. Rust prevention for me is not touching the surface rust so it doesn't add more surface rust.

I put a few (2-3) light coats of Flex Seal (the aerosol can version) on the mounting surfaces of my MORryde tailgate kit to act as a barrier or gasket between it and the tailgate and tub. Turned out great.

I'll be adding proper sliders in the near future and will do the same there.
Flexseal will trap H2O. Use Fluid Film reapply once a year