Problem after engine rebuild

inv123ctus

Need some help. Pulled the engine out of the jeep. it was running pretty good but had 307kmiles so I figured it's time. Sent the head to a machine shop to get reworked. I put in all new bearing, pistons, rings, Crank bearings, timing chain and distributor. So prettymuch everything inside is new. Oh, also had machine shop check all clearances on Crank, pistons, cam and bearings. Put it all back together and it starts and runs but doesn't seem to have any power....like...none. I might be able to get to 20miles/hr. Engine just feels sluggish whenever I press the gas. Replaced the TPS and IAT sensors, no change. Not giving any codes either. I had replaced the exhaust with a used one that was in better shape than mine. Just took it off to look for blockages and it's clear. I also smell fuel really strong. It's idling find so I'm pretty sure the timing is fine. What am I missing?

Only other thing out of the ordinary is the torque converter. We had the tranny rebuilt about 6-8 months ago and it's been working fine. When I put the converter back in when doing the rebuild, I read where it says to pour a quart of Trans fluid into the converter. I did. It also says that the converter should snap in twice on the shaft. Once installed correctly, you should not be able to reach your hands around between the converter and the bellhousing. That's how it was so I assume we did it correctly. Well, when i'm test driving it, fluid is pouring out of the bellhousing. I'm assuming that I overfilled the converter as there was still fluid inside. Got out as much as I could but still put almost a quart. filled until it was at the bottom of the shaft inside. Could I have over filled it that's what's causing the sluggish response? That doesn't explain the fuel smell though.

I feel for you and don't mean to be critical, just another way to get an new engine. I did a local rebuild once, never again.

I've used these guys 3 times. The current remanufactured engine in my TJR is 2.5 years old with 60K miles and still running like new. Remanufactured long block with a 7 year warranty. Took 12 hours to change it out.

https://www.sandjengines.com
Their warehouse is massive and they ship worldwide.

So many things could be wrong here, I'm not even sure where I would start. Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Does it rev normal in Neutral and Park? How is the fuel pressure? is it leaking anything?

If its running and moves the car around then theres a bit less things it could be.

Even though you said it idles fine, it sounds like a timing issue, either with the timing chain and gears, or the distributor.

Timing chain off by a tooth can easily idle well but produce no power. Valve springs to short/soft. Compression low. Wrong cam choice. List goes on and on. I've had real hit and miss luck using local machine shops. These simple engines are often where the "new guy" get to start on.
Without a good diagnosis of all the parts (meaning a possible tear down) there are an awful number of things that could be either the entire problem, or just part of the problem.