Project advice and help

Attomic-tj

Supporting Member
Hey all, I know there's a ton of threads on these questions and I've been doing my best on reading/scanning through them, but I want make sure I understand what I've researched so far correctly and clarify a few things I'm not clear on. I'll explain my situation and plan first and then will throw out some questions.
I got a stock tj. Have been out of 4wheel game for about a decade and even back then didn't know any better and used crapy parts like skyjacker and Rubicon express. I've been reading up on lots of discussions about lifts and have settled on currie/savvy but I don't want to drop 3k on the lift plus 800 on tires plus 500 on wheels plus 500 on sye/cv shaft and so forth and so on all at the same time. So what I want to do is get it in pieces spread out over a few months. I get that its more expensive that way and I should just save up until I can buy it all at once but I'm inpatient and can't manage my money. I plan on doing street driving and some fire road, construction site while I get everything together. So the plan is:
Get currie springs, rear trac bar bracket and bump stops and rancho shocks and sway bar extensions. Possibly front trac bar at same time. Get wheels, tires and brake lines.
My questions are: do I need to get a pitman arm? can i do transfer case drop while I'm waiting on sye/shaft? and once I get sye, to adjust pinion on rear end I would need adjustable control arms or how long can I run without changing the pinion? if I can wait and buy all adjustable control arms instead of just the rears would be great. Also I know most people think currie/savvy arms are the best, but what's the opinion on Core 4x4 arms?
To figure out the shock size I would need to have the larger tires already on jeep to cycle the suspension? and if I cycle the suspension without the springs why does it matter what size lift I have since I'm measuring full travel of suspension. or what components do I need to replace in order to get accurate measurements for shock size? and will those measurements change once I get a winch bumper and winch?
And lastly if ill be changing the gearing on it, what should I look for as far as ring and pinion if I want to change the gears first and later upgrade to super 35 with a locker?
Thanks for any answers and or clarification on my confusion.

Last edited:
I would start with the things you need that you can do without doing it twice. Something like this order, and it might not get to the cool factor as fast as you like but you’ll save money along the way and not do things twice.

SYE
Lift
Tummy tuck
Wheels and tires

The winch and other bolt ones you can do at any time but I’d do them later so you get the build bought and installed first.

That's a lot of money to spend on a fire road vehicle. There are other ways to go for much less money without sacrificing quality.

I would start with the things you need that you can do without doing it twice. Something like this order, and it might not get to the cool factor as fast as you like but you’ll save money along the way and not do things twice.

SYE
Lift
Tummy tuck
Wheels and tires

The winch and other bolt ones you can do at any time but I’d do them later so you get the build bought and installed first.
Not sure how anything I'm doing would make me do something twice beside the regearing and locker upgrade. Care to elaborate?

That's a lot of money to spend on a fire road vehicle. There are other ways to go for much less money without sacrificing quality.
Sorry if I didn't word it right. While I'm doing the build it's light used vehicle. Once I get the sye and control arms and dial it in and have all proper components in place. Then I'm going places. I don't want to go to Rubicon before I get everything in. And I'm planning on stretching the build over next 3 to 4 months so I don't dump 5k into it at once and get divorce papers.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodaMan
Get currie springs, rear trac bar bracket and bump stops and rancho shocks and sway bar extensions. Possibly front trac bar at same time. Get wheels, tires and brake lines.
My questions are: do I need to get a pitman arm? can i do transfer case drop while I'm waiting on sye/shaft? and once I get sye, to adjust pinion on rear end I would need adjustable control arms or how long can I run without changing the pinion? if I can wait and buy all adjustable control arms instead of just the rears would be great. Also I know most people think currie/savvy arms are the best, but what's the opinion on Core 4x4 arms?
To figure out the shock size I would need to have the larger tires already on jeep to cycle the suspension? and if I cycle the suspension without the springs why does it matter what size lift I have since I'm measuring full travel of suspension. or what components do I need to replace in order to get accurate measurements for shock size? and will those measurements change once I get a winch bumper and winch?
And lastly if ill be changing the gearing on it, what should I look for as far as ring and pinion if I want to change the gears first and later upgrade to super 35 with a locker?
Thanks for any answers and or clarification on my confusion.
You're on the right path. Tires and springs first. Also, you'll need longer shocks.
See how it rides; it will tell you what it needs next.
If you're going to be wheeling it, go ahead and get a good front track bar.
You don't need a dropped pitman arm.

You're on the right path. Tires and springs first. Also, you'll need longer shocks.
See how it rides; it will tell you what it needs next.
If you're going to be wheeling it, go ahead and get a good front track bar.
You don't need a dropped pitman arm.
Thanks on pitman arm input. As far as shocks go, that I understand I need longer shocks, but there's discrepancy on other threads of what shocks to get. I'll be getting Rancho rs5000x but which one is the question. Some say get get the ones made for 3.5 lift and some say measure first. The consensus is that I should measure before ordering. That's where the cycling the suspension question come in.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: CodaMan