Questions about 2002 TJ SE

teklord

I got this 2002 SE for $5k, it has 170k miles and it runs fine but has issues. This is just a 2nd car and my first ever Jeep. First of all, its a 2.5 with the 3 spd auto, the engine is pretty anemic and I was expecting that from an old technology 4 cylinder and an auto.. However, it does sound like a diesel engine! I changed the oil and added marvel mystery oil and it seemed to quiet it down a little. After driving the car for 15-20 mins, the diesel noise pretty much goes away. Is there anything else I can do to minimize this noise?

Going over the engine, I found a couple of electrical connectors that are unplugged. Does anyone know what they are for? (see attached pics).

The paint on half of the car is totally faded. I tried to polish it but its beyond that. So a new paint job will be needed later on.

There is also a leak coming from under the intake manifold. I don't think it is engine oil or tranny oil since its clear. Probably brake fluid? I traced the leak from one of the rubber tubes that has a crack/tear on the connecting side. Anyone know exactly what this rubber tube is and its purpose? The attached picture is taken under the car on drivers side.

Otherwise, the Jeep runs fine. No white or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, no coolant in oil, no overheating. Its just slow! lol.

Thanks in advance.

20220624_182557.jpg

20220624_142035.jpg

20220624_142056.jpg

20220626_090917.jpg

The unused connectors are likely for the optional A/C pump. Likewise, you may find unused connectors in the engine bay if you don't have ABS or cruise.

That oil-soaked connector is for the crankcase ventilation. It should run up to the forward LH side of the valve cover. Crankcase fumes, moisture, and in this case, a significant about of oil is drawn through this plastic tube into the intake below the TB. It's probably destroyed the rubber elbow connected to the intake as shown in your picture causing a leak. Replace the boot with something after-market that fits (good luck...). Also check that the previous owner didn't mess with the brass outlet on the valve cover. It has to be one with the stock 2.0mm orifice to limit how much flow is drawn out of the valve cover. Some have broken it and replaced it with a common barbed fitting.