Questions about my 98 TJ Sport

TmLIsMe14

I have some questions about my 98 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual.

I have purchased my first Wrangler ever last year in October. I know nothing about Wranglers and even less about my TJ. The TJ I bought came with windshield lights and a lightbar. When the daylight breaks I will post pictures of my TJ to show what I have. From what I can recall right now, my lights on my windshield and lightbar I think are a brand called Nlights, with some brand of the bracket to mount the lights to my TJ. My TJ came with 31's Cooper STT Pros with what I can tell is almost a brand new tread. It still has very deep depth and still has the sipes in all the tires. My lightbar and windshield lights on my TJ came unwired but mounted to my TJ.

From when I got it I have done some slight changes to my TJ, so far I have done an audio install, Speakers, Amps, Subs and full tub deadening. Besides that, I have changed my cluster to LEDs.

I have some questions about what I would like to do. I want to change out the other lights to LEDs in my cluster. 4WD, Blinkers, High Beam Indicator, Gaslight, Upshift light, all of them. My question for this is: what color do I get for each of these bulbs? Could I just put in default white light? Or would that mess something up with different colors coming through the panel? My next question, I have a slider for my HVAC controls, can I change out the lights in there to LEDs? I couldn't find a video on this, I am more of a see to do the type of person. If I see it done I might be able to do it. Another question is that I never had lights for my interior footwells, I checked tonight and I saw that there was a space for them, at least for my drivers' side, but there was no pigtail to connect it. Could I just get a replacement pigtail to replace it? Do TJ Sports come with a passenger's side footwell light? My last question for the footwell lights is what bulb LED would they take?

I have been wondering this but how do you wire windshield lights through the cowl? I am stumped about this. I have a friend who told me that the pinching of the cowl and the wires is a no go and could ultimately cause a fire. I don't disagree with him, so I would like to do this right. From what I have seen, everything concerning windshield lights, people have wired through the cowl, though the pinch where the cowl and the pillar meets. Is this really the best way to go about wiring this? Is there something else that could be done? I don't mean to offend anyone if I am, but I don't think that my friend is wrong, but I also don't want to upset the people who wire their lights this way. I am more of a "video person, see it done on video then I might be able to do it" kind of person.

One really annoying thing I have noticed when I drive my TJ, I don't know what the problem is but when I drive there is a really loud whistling sound coming from my front end somewhere. I haven't figured it out yet before I go crazy and chalk it up to one of the things that a Jeep has, is there something that I am missing when it comes to this whistling sound? I would think that in my experience that this would be the most annoying and loud noise coming from my Jeep. I have an aftermarket head-unit with aftermarket speakers that are amped and this whistling has me going up to near the max of my head-unit. Again, this could just be something that all wranglers have, but I just don't know. As I have said in my passage earlier, this is my first Wrangler and I have no experience with Wranglers up until this point in my life.

I am also looking for a good slush mat for my jeep, as well as some new carpet. My TJ came without carpet in the front but the rear had carpet. But I thought I might as well replace the carpet with new carpet. If someone could also recommend a good brand for a carpet that would be delightful.

My last question, for now, does anyone know where to get this type of screw? The one with the built-in washer, I think it might be just a MOPAR part but I am not sure. I like to try to keep everything hardware-wise as close to the original as I can. If someone could point me in the right direction on where to get this type of screw that would be very helpful.

IMG_20200101_030544.jpg

IMG_20200101_030817.jpg

IMG_20200101_030759.jpg

IMG_20200101_030822.jpg

The whistling is definitely NOT something typical on all Wranglers.

I would think that screw is something you could get at any dealer, junk yard or fasteners shop (Fasteners, Inc, Tacoma Screw, Western Industrial Supply are places near me).

Good luck.

One really annoying thing I have noticed when I drive my TJ, I don't know what the problem is but when I drive there is a really loud whistling sound coming from my front end somewhere. I haven't figured it out yet before I go crazy and chalk it up to one of the things that a Jeep has, is there something that I am missing when it comes to this whistling sound? I would think that in my experience that this would be the most annoying and loud noise coming from my Jeep.

Hi the whistling noise is from the heat sinks on the rear of the lightbar, there are dampers that you can buy and fit but the cheapest option is to do whats in the attached link.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-stop-a-whistling-light-bar.21860/
I had this issue with my Wrangler TJ with lightbar and this cured it 100%
Regards
Keith W (from the UK)

check out this website:

https://www.superbrightleds.com

there is a shop by vehicle option that will give you the recommended LED lamp for each application.

I just completed a complete (almost) LED swap of all of my lights. I didn't bother with the upshifter light etc. Those are on so infrequently it wasn't necessary to change. Just the main 5 lights that illuminate the spedo, tach, etc. I did cool white for all of the interior lights and amber for the front turn signals. There are 2 very small LEDs that go to the HVAC slider. My 98 TJ sport has driver and passenger footwell lights. If yours doesn't have them, you can find them on line or consider a small LED strip instead. If you want to go full LED conversion, Quadratec makes a plug and play tail light that matches your stock tail lights. There's no shortage of LED headlights on the market. I went with the Quadratec stealth headlamps but they're a bit pricy.

As for floor mats, Husky makes reasonably priced heavy mats. Weather tech are nice but also pricy.

While I haven't changed my carpet, Bedrug (or Bedtred) look like a solid choice.

good luck

Here are my pictures of my Jeep. With my light bar. I don't know what the original did with the original bolts for the pillars but I want to see if I cant get a replacement for the off ones.

IMG_20200102_042256.jpg

IMG_20200102_042438.jpg

IMG_20200102_042307.jpg

IMG_20200102_042419.jpg

IMG_20200102_042425.jpg

IMG_20200102_042455.jpg

IMG_20200102_042515.jpg

IMG_20200102_042527.jpg

IMG_20200102_042445.jpg

I tried to fix the whistling problem on my TJ today. I bought some door gasket, the one that has self-adhesive and I pretty much put it on almost all my fins on my lightbar and my windshield lights. I put two strips on each fin so they are sandwiched together touching. I did this throughout the length of my lightbar and I did the same with my small windshield light fins.

From what I can tell the whistling has gone down, but I won't know until I get on the highway and do 60 MPH. What I mean by the whistling has gone down is that I cant hear it as much but I still hear it. So now I am doubting that its coming from my lightbar at all. I will have to see.

Reactions: Chris
I have been wondering this but how do you wire windshield lights through the cowl? I am stumped about this. I have a friend who told me that the pinching of the cowl and the wires is a no go and could ultimately cause a fire. I don't disagree with him, so I would like to do this right. From what I have seen, everything concerning windshield lights, people have wired through the cowl, though the pinch where the cowl and the pillar meets. Is this really the best way to go about wiring this? Is there something else that could be done? I don't mean to offend anyone if I am, but I don't think that my friend is wrong, but I also don't want to upset the people who wire their lights this way. I am more of a "video person, see it done on video then I might be able to do it" kind of person.

Could someone please show me the proper way to wire through my TJ cowl? I am confused on how to get the wire though without pinching the wire.

Let us know what you find out once you get it on the highway!

I got on the highway yesterday to see if the whistling has stopped. I can say that the whistling as certainly died down it has by no means stopped. I guess I will have to add more strips to the fins then test again.

On a side note, could someone please tell me the best way to wire my lights through the cowl without pinching my wires?

On a side note, could someone please tell me the best way to wire my lights through the cowl without pinching my wires?

Might want to post a new thread for this to garner more attention (y)

I'm actually not sure as I never have run a light bar before.

I have a-pillar light similar to yours, use a round file to grind away the protruding metal (under the hood) that is perpendicular to the wires running through. If I'm not mistaken there is a weather seal on the metal that has to be trimmed also. Then for safe measures I wrapped extra electrical tape around the wire through that area. The hood won't hurt the wires where it pinches together, only worry about sharp edges against the wire. I'm sure many others have done this also. Make sure to have the wires fused and fire shouldn't be a worry. Mine has not been damaged at all after a year of opening and closing the hood. After a month or so inspect the wiring to make sure what you did will work!

I have a-pillar light similar to yours, use a round file to grind away the protruding metal (under the hood) that is perpendicular to the wires running through. If I'm not mistaken there is a weather seal on the metal that has to be trimmed also. Then for safe measures I wrapped extra electrical tape around the wire through that area. The hood won't hurt the wires where it pinches together, only worry about sharp edges against the wire. I'm sure many others have done this also. Make sure to have the wires fused and fire shouldn't be a worry. Mine has not been damaged at all after a year of opening and closing the hood. After a month or so inspect the wiring to make sure what you did will work!

This is through the hood cowl, right? Do you mind if I request some pictures of your wiring?

I ran the wire down between were the hood closes on the hood cowl. If I remember I will take pictures when I get off work tonight.

This is through the hood cowl, right? Do you mind if I request some pictures of your wiring?

Not the best pictures since it was dark out but hopefully you get the point.
A50EED6C-934C-4F21-85A4-7694AA4338B0.jpeg

Used round file where wire runs into cowl.
B94B2561-432E-4845-A1BE-8A472A127EB6.jpeg

Cut a slit out of weatherseal where wire runs into engine bay.
BE132063-7C74-4B9F-9D43-6BDD21F51B36.jpeg

View from under the hood.
AEBC8DE5-204A-4F4E-BF73-2FC6253B83A5.jpeg

66108B06-ED69-4D04-BD96-9F9C52E1289B.jpeg

Not the best pictures since it was dark out but hopefully you get the point.
View attachment 134463
Used round file where wire runs into cowl.
View attachment 134464
Cut a slit out of weatherseal where wire runs into engine bay.
View attachment 134465
View from under the hood.View attachment 134467
View attachment 134466
Oh nice, thank you for the pictures. It seems, however, whoever had my Jeep previously did some different ways of wiring. I have a hole where factory wire comes though down in the middle of the center inside cowl so I ran the wires through there.

I believe that somewhere when I was installing my lights I made a mistake. I wired my lights to the relay and from the relay from the switch. I fused the relay to the battery but I did not fuse the wire off the switch to the constant 12. I flipped the switch and my wire burnt up. Was I supposed to fuse the switch wire also?

I have 2 lights that need to be wired, my lightbar and my pillar lights. I wired from my constant 12v to two wires going to different switches. Part of me thinks that this was my problem, and further evidence shows me that this could have been my problem when I tried to wire up my lights, my wire burnt and charred.

On a side note, I now found out why my cluster LEDs stopped worked for one side of my gauge cluster. It turns out that in my cluster a trace of the PCB burnt to leave that one part unconnected. Before, when I had my stock indecent bulbs in my cluster worked fine. It was after I switched my cluster to LEDs bulbs that my one side of my cluster burned the trace out. I thought that LEDs drew less wattage or current. So I am not sure why my that one trace burnt out. Also, I should mention that this same trace burned out on both of my clusters, my original one, and my replacement to fix the old cluster. Are my clusters bad? Or is this a common problem of 98 TJ clusters when switching to LEDs?

I also went ahead and changed out all my bulbs within my cluster to LEDs, blinker, HighBeam, 4wd, literally all of them that I am using currently. If in case this mattered at all.

For the cluster issue, has anyone has had this problem before? Or is this just something unique to me?