Questions about the 2.5in OME Heavy lift I installed on my 2.5 TJ

TinyTJ00

Last weekend I installed the OME 2.5in Heavy Lift on my TJ. Learned alot, cursed alot and smooshed a few fingers. But hey, it's done. Got my regular 4x4 shop to look it over and get it aligned. All good.

Currently she is sitting on 31x10.5 on 15x8 rims. I picked this setup as she was stock height at the time. Now that she's got a wee bit of legs on her, I have a few questions.

I have the 2.5L engine. That's the reason I'm not installing any body armor etc as weight is my enemy. With stock 4:10 gears, how bad would it bog me down putting 33in tires on? Currently she does well on the freeway. 60 is no problem, just takes me a bit longer then my 94 YJ, 04 LJ and 2017 JKU. I'm asking as I know these engines are dogs and I'm unfamiliar with them.

Second question. Since I did the TC drop and not the SYE, DC driveshaft, I know I really didn't gain much skid clearance with this lift. I plan on doing the above mentioned... IF it's worth it on a 2.5L that I daily AND off road. How many of you recommend going that route or just stick with the TC drop, get flat fenders (but that will add weight) for better articulation and call it good?

Thanks for reading and looking. I'm just trying to find the perfect balance for this underpowered 2.5L for daily and moderate difficulty trails here in PNW WA. (Walker valley, Reiter etc...)

Point Blur_Apr242021_202817.jpg

Reactions: Chris and UKTJ
Last weekend I installed the OME 2.5in Heavy Lift on my TJ. Learned alot, cursed alot and smooshed a few fingers. But hey, it's done. Got my regular 4x4 shop to look it over and get it aligned. All good.

Currently she is sitting on 31x10.5 on 15x8 rims. I picked this setup as she was stock height at the time. Now that she's got a wee bit of legs on her, I have a few questions.

I have the 2.5L engine. That's the reason I'm not installing any body armor etc as weight is my enemy. With stock 4:10 gears, how bad would it bog me down putting 33in tires on? Currently she does well on the freeway. 60 is no problem, just takes me a bit longer then my 94 YJ, 04 LJ and 2017 JKU. I'm asking as I know these engines are dogs and I'm unfamiliar with them.

Second question. Since I did the TC drop and not the SYE, DC driveshaft, I know I really didn't gain much skid clearance with this lift. I plan on doing the above mentioned... IF it's worth it on a 2.5L that I daily AND off road. How many of you recommend going that route or just stick with the TC drop, get flat fenders (but that will add weight) for better articulation and call it good?

Thanks for reading and looking. I'm just trying to find the perfect balance for this underpowered 2.5L for daily and moderate difficulty trails here in PNW WA. (Walker valley, Reiter etc...)

View attachment 246585
Did you do before and after measurements to see how much lift you got? I was under the impression that for 33" tires you really need a 1" body lift as well as the 2.5" of suspension. But if using the heavy springs on a lighter TJ maybe you got more than 2.5" just from the suspension.

Did you do before and after measurements to see how much lift you got? I was under the impression that for 33" tires you really need a 1" body lift as well as the 2.5" of suspension. But if using the heavy springs on a lighter TJ maybe you got more than 2.5" just from the suspension.
Suspension lift alone will not create tire clearance at the fender. You’ll need extended bump stops or a body lift

Reactions: Sancho
If you search around on this forum, you’ll find that 31s are the limit for the four-bangers. Unless you re-gear. Some even say to stick with 30s.

I too am curious how much lift you actually got, since the 2.5 is lighter.

I did get more then 2.5. I'm 2.8 in with the lighter jeep with aftermarket bumpers and winch. I have bump stop extensions on the rear as well.

That's why no body armor, flat fenders etc. Keeping her rather stock looking as she's very sensitive about her weight.
Yep, I hear ya. That’s the best approach you can take. Clearly you’ve done your research.

I hear ya! Big tires suck even on the 4.0, they just suck even more on the 2.5.
Got 35s on the YJ with spring over lift and the JKU with a 3in OME Heavy. The LJ we are going 37s

This is why I call my 2.5L wrangler "Tiny". Shes...just...gonna have to stay Tiny 🤣

Reactions: Chris