Radiator replacement

ngarner22

Supporting Member
Hey everyone,
I have a 2002 tj sport. Had some overheating issues and decided to replace the thermostat and radiator. I purchased a 2 row radiator that is a direct fit. Only problem is the new radiator does not have a connection for the power steering coolant line. Do I just run a seperate inner cooler or do I need to purchase another radiator? Added a pic for attention. Thanks up front for any help!

Screenshot_20220607-200947_Facebook.jpg

Hey everyone,
I have a 2002 tj sport. Had some overheating issues and decided to replace the thermostat and radiator. I purchased a 2 row radiator that is a direct fit. Only problem is the new radiator does not have a connection for the power steering coolant line. Do I just run a seperate inner cooler or do I need to purchase another radiator? Added a pic for attention. Thanks up front for any help!

View attachment 335645

As mentioned above, you ended up with a radiator for a manual transmission Jeep. You could try and make that one work by adding an auxiliary trans cooler. That will also require changing the transmission line connections, so it will be a little more work. I'd recommend returning that radiator and getting the direct replacement for your Jeep.

Reactions: ngarner22
You could add a remote cooler, but you want one in the radiator for cold weather so it doesn't take forever for your transmission to come up to temp. As others have said, OEM is the way to go with radiator replacement on the TJ.

Reactions: ngarner22
I ended up going with a remote cooler. Easiest solution instead of waiting for another. TN trail jam next week. Hope to see some people on this forum. Thanks again!