Radio cuts out and screen flickers with dash lights are on

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
I finally got a TJ! It's a 2006 with the 2.4 and the 6 speed manual. I've been wanting one of these since I was 13, well, one with the 4.0 but I got a good deal on this one. I got it about 2 months ago and have already put in an aftermarket radio (single din with the flip out screen, LED headlights, and big boy seat extension brackets. One thing i keep running into now is that if I have that screen flipped out, my dash lights can only be on 1 or 2 clicks without my radio cutting out and the screen always flickers. Would this be a ground issue, something odd fr the factory, or did some dip-tard wire the radio power into my lights? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank y'all!

Reactions: Ante_Up
Congrats on the Jeep! I'm not a big wiring person, someone else can speak to that... Although you can pull the lighting fuses and see if the radio goes off

Just tried it. When I pulled the radio fuse, the radio turned off and the dash lights stayed on. I sanded down the 2 ground spots against the top part of the firewall. That seemed to help but it didn't solve it. I could've just done a crappy sanding job but do y'all think there's more going on here?

The alternator my not be producing enough voltage to power the radio and the headlights together. Check battery voltage with the engine off and engine running. Should have more than 12 volts engine off and 13+ engine running. That's minimal voltage. I had (in my youth) headlights that would dim to the beat of the music. And that was a new car. New-new. Alternator was designed to just barely provide enough power to keep it running.

Put straight power to the radio with a temporary fusible wire and see if all’s good , if so , it may need to be on another circuit ...a tjs interior lights seem to be connected to everything , including the tires.

Also , since your name is guitar guy and in Kansas, run to Oklahoma and see who played guitar for Hal Ketchum , he had a good sound.

Haven't had the chance to pull the radio and check the power to just it yet but with the Jeep off, the battery is around 12.5 volts and it's around 14.5 volts with it running.

Those numbers are great. Maybe wire stereo power direct (with inline fuse) from battery. Any amps should be direct too.

Alright guys so I went ahead and sent the power wire straight to the fuse box with a fuse adder kit and it still does it. Part of me wonders if it's something to do with the accessory wire that tells the radio the key is on which would explain the screen flashing all the time but it wouldn't explain why it gets worse and finally just dies when I turn the dash lights on.