Which Rancho shocks for 2-2.5 inch lift?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey,

A 2-2.5 inch suspension lift kit is next after new tires/rims (31").

Finally, I found in my local market Rancho shocks. My question is which Rancho 5000X shocks should I buy?

RS55128 (Front) & RS55240 (Rear)
OR
RS55239 (Front) & RS55241 (Rear)

99% I will use some Old Man springs.

Last edited:
My Rancho's ran a little long, and I've heard the same from a lot of people. I would get the 0-2"

Install the 0-2" then let them settle. Take some measurements and see if they are near 50/50 at ride height, if then you think the others would be better, call Rancho and swap them out under their 90 day no questions asked return policy.

Last edited:
I know this might seem like a big project to you but you're just doing a very minor upgrade/modification and not using your Jeep as a competition rig.

Coil springs are a simple component.
Any brand will do exactly what you're seeking.
Shocks on the other hand make your ride. Make your ride great or make it ride like shit.

Get some 2.5 springs and use the Rancho's you listed.

✌ Quick questions...

Do you want rake or not?
Will you be adding a ton of heavy accessories?

I know this might seem like a big project to you but you're just doing a very minor upgrade/modification and not using your Jeep as a competition rig.

Coil springs are a simple component.
Any brand will do exactly what you're seeking.
Shocks on the other hand make your ride. Make your ride great or make it ride like shit.

Get some 2.5 springs and use the Rancho's you listed.

✌ Quick questions...

Do you want rake or not?
Will you be adding a ton of heavy accessories?
Hey Thanks :)

1) I am not sure yet about the rake. worst case scenario I will use some spacers?

2) I have the 4 cylinder engine, soft top, no rear seats, stock bumpers (don't want aftermarket bumpers) etc. So Im pretty light at the moment.

On the other hand, a winch is for sure in the schedule for the future (I'm thinking of installing him only for trips etc), also I have the hardtop in the garage. I guess my point is, I am not exactly sure which is my setup yet, but for sure I am going to keep it as light as possible.

Do you run those shocks? Because almost everyone else are suggesting the 55128 & 55240 combo for this lift.

haha. obviously. I was asking about the shocks though. if they run sooo long that I should use the RS55128 (Front) & RS55240 (Rear) over RS55239 (Front) & RS55241 (Rear), for a 2.5" lift.
there's no way to know for sure without having your lift in and cycling the suspension.

I have an advertised 3.5" SL, so i went with 55255/55256.. they are way too long not only because my suspension sagged but also due to rancho's just running long.

since you seem to be right at the line, maybe install the lift and measure so you can have an exact answer. I wish I could be more helpful.

Reactions: RMETeeJay and TJim

1) I am not sure yet about the rake. worst case scenario I will use some spacers?

2) I have the 4 cylinder engine, soft top, no rear seats, stock bumpers (don't want aftermarket bumpers) etc. So Im pretty light at the moment.

On the other hand, a winch is for sure in the schedule for the future (I'm thinking of installing him only for trips etc), also I have the hardtop in the garage. I guess my point is, I am not exactly sure which is my setup yet, but for sure I am going to keep it as light as possible.

Do you run those shocks? Because almost everyone else are suggesting the 55128 & 55240 combo for this lift.
Hello Tim, which ones did you choose? I have 55128 and 55240 shocks but wanted to know if they would be fine with 2" coils springs (e.g Pro Comp 2"). Please let me know. Thanks

Hello Tim, which ones did you choose? I have 55128 and 55240 shocks but wanted to know if they would be fine with 2" coils springs (e.g Pro Comp 2"). Please let me know. Thanks
They work perfectly with Proconps on a 4.0 auto.
Check your bumpstop height after

I just put these on my sons 99. It has a 2.5 lift and a hard top. It’s riding just fine. It also has the 4 banger.

44EE3DC1-2F10-41F2-80FD-455F199FF86A.jpeg

EDDCF251-CB57-437C-917A-1FCFAB29FBB0.jpeg

Keep us posted! I put the 0–2" Ranchos on my stock-light four-banger. I have been thinking about new springs, and I'll be eager to hear what kind of lift you get with the springs you choose.

@StG58 use the H&R springs on his four-banger, and got about 0.5" more than advertised, given the light weight of his rig.

I chose RS55128 (Front) & RS55240 (Rear).
I run OME 2" Light Duty Springs. (932 & 941) Springs gave me around 3" lift on the front, and around 2.5" lift on the rear

Shocks seems to be fine. I think they are the right ones.

You can check my build thread for more measurements, photos, etc.

Keep us posted! I put the 0–2" Ranchos on my stock-light four-banger. I have been thinking about new springs, and I'll be eager to hear what kind of lift you get with the springs you choose.

@StG58 use the H&R springs on his four-banger, and got about 0.5" more than advertised, given the light weight of his rig.
Check my previous post!

Reactions: SSTJ