Rattle from Rear Suspension?

RangerZ21i

I have a few things going on here simultaneously so I apologize for the long post. I have what can best be described as a rattle coming from the rear suspension when I hit bumps especially washboard type bumps. Its most notable at speeds under 40-45. My track bar jam nut was coming loose repetitively and after I fixed it the noise is not as loud but still there. I have checked the track bar frame and axle bolts, shock bolts, pushed and pulled on all the sway bar and control arms, checked the exhaust and had no luck finding the source. Over the weekend I changed my jounce bumpers and when I put the passenger rear tire back on noticed a very small movement in the axle but I ran out of time to explore further. I changed the bearing, seal, seal retaining plate etc. on this same side axle about 2 months ago with all new Spicer parts. Should the axle have any movement and could this be my noise? Should I change the control arm bushings (original OEM's) just to 100% eliminate as a potential cause? I am running a DPG/OME Ultimate Kit if that manners.

Check your rear shock upper bar pins. I've heard stories of the bar pins breaking causing a rattle over bumper. Also, since you said your TB jam nut was loose, did you check to make sure your axle is centered?

Reactions: RangerZ21i
Check your rear shock upper bar pins. I've heard stories of the bar pins breaking causing a rattle over bumper. Also, since you said your TB jam nut was loose, did you check to make sure your axle is centered?
Will do, I have not looked at the bar pins although I have tried [pushing and pulling on the shocks

Reactions: bobthetj03
upload_2018-2-8_14-4-50.jpeg
IMG_2405.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG

Last edited:
The one thing I did notice in those pics is you have a lot of bumpstop extension in the rear springs. Why so much?

The one thing I did notice in those pics is you have a lot of bumpstop extension in the rear springs. Why so much?
I am in the process of upgrading tires with a LCG lift and have not gotten to replace the flares yet. DPG suggested an additional bumpstop of 1" in the back and 2" in the front to keep the tires off the stock flares, thats why you see the washers. No rocks to climb in Louisiana mostly mud in my off road adventures. I will adjust the bump stops again when I get around to changing the flares.