Re-gearing 99 TJ from 3.07 to 4.56—where should I get gears?

Mrhp

TJ Enthusiast
Considering a regear on my tj. It is a 99 4.0 Auto with 3.07 gears. Either going with 4.10 or 4.56. Jeep usually used in the bush. Minimal hiway driving, 60 mph or lower. Does anybody make thick gears for the Dana 30 and 35? I have looked, but didn’t find any. I would probably keep the rear open, and install the spartan locker in the front. It goes decent now with 35 inch tires, but I am considering a regear to help the trans live a bit longer. It has had 35 inch tires on it for over 12 years with two other owners, but I will probably use it harder than them. Just trying to be proactive. Any advice on where to get gears is appreciated. Thank You, Brian.

For mostly Offroad the 4.56 gears will pair well with the 32RH and 35s, but your weakness is the Dana 35 rear. Don’t expect that to hood up for much longer once you start putting it through it’s paces. 4lowparts is a reputable seller of gear sets.

I am aware of the 35 and it’s weakness, and I appreciate it that you mention it in case I did not know. I don’t drive this Jeep all that hard. Just enjoyment for the wife and I. I will look at your recommendation for gears.

Go with whatever brand your installer will warranty. If you have the choice, Dana Aftermarket, SVL, and Revolution are a few brands I would trust. Dana Aftermarket is made in the US.

Strongly consider installing a Super 35 kit at the same time. That will ensure your Dana 35 is more than strong enough to run 35s. It's a kit that upgrades the shafts to a larger diameter/spline count and a stronger alloy to reduce the odds of shaft breakage. It does require a new carrier, which is generally either an Eaton E-Locker or ARB air locker. Multiple manufacturers make Super 35 kits. Revolution is a popular brand here.

In addition to the Super 35, if you want a front locker as well, now would be the time to consider it

I will install my own gears, have done it many times so no issue there. I Think for my driving style, the 35 should be ok. I won’t be hammering this thing. I have a dragster and a street/strip car for that! I just was not sure if there were any thick gears so I would not have to buy new carriers.

I will install my own gears, have done it many times so no issue there. I Think for my driving style, the 35 should be ok. I won’t be hammering this thing. I have a dragster and a street/strip car for that! I just was not sure if there were any thick gears so I would not have to buy new carriers.
In that case I'd definitely go with Revolution Gears. Yes they make thick versions of their gears, I'm running their thick 5.38 gears.

Label 2.jpg