Re-gearing from 4.88 to 5.13

49mercpapo

Supporting Member
Do you guys think it is worth the effort to go from 4.88 to 5.13 gears? I really like how my LJ looks with 35" tires but going up any incline really sucks.

You might be right. I thought there were 5.38s but I can’t seem to find any.
I must have been thinking of the Dana 44 5.89s

Last edited:
Edit: you are right. 5.13 would still be an upgrade to the 4.88s. Whether it justifies the cost is debatable. If you want to put in lockers I would do the new gears and lockers at the same time. The additional labor to set up the lockers wouldn’t be much more than just the regear.

Last edited:
Edit: you are right. 5.13 would still be an upgrade to the 4.88s. Whether it justifies the cost is debatable. If you want to put in lockers I would do the new gears and lockers at the same time. The additional labor to set up the lockers wouldn’t be much more than just the regear.

Cool.
Thank you.

That change isn't big enough to justify the cost IMHO, honestly.

Unless you're getting the parts / labor for a hell of a deal (or doing it yourself), it's just going to be pissing money away for the most part.

I don't think you'll notice much of a change going from 4.88 to 5.13 given how close they are.

Unless you're getting the parts / labor for a hell of a deal (or doing it yourself), it's just going to be pissing money away for the most part.

I don't think you'll notice much of a change going from 4.88 to 5.13 given how close they are.

I'm changing the axles and installing lockers so it shouldn't be much more to do hopefully. I'm having it done. I try to do most of the work on my LJ but gears is not one of them. I'll ask my gear guy if it is too much I'll stick with the 4.88.

I'm changing the axles and installing lockers so it shouldn't be much more to do hopefully. I'm having it done. I try to do most of the work on my LJ but gears is not one of them. I'll ask my gear guy if it is too much I'll stick with the 4.88.

If you're adding selectable lockers anyways, then you're right, it won't be too much extra work to do, so then it would make sense.

Knowing that, I would probably go ahead and do them in that case. When you add selectable lockers, you end up doing the gears anyways (even if you're just keeping the ones you currently have).

Reactions: MaloStapalo