Really weird brake issue (also 4x4 issue too)

Goondock

Supporting Member
Ok 1999 Sahara 4.0L 5 spd 71K miles. Everything worked great no issues before i started. Noticed my 4x4 light wasn't coming on. Been there before so I bought a Mopar transfer case switch. Put that sucker in and the light worked like a charm.. Right after the install I drove the jeep down the driveway applied the brakes and the wheels locked up and chirped the tires. Drove the jeep backwards and it stopped normal no wheels locking up or anything. So while going forward and applying the brakes the front wheels will lock up with slight pressure on the brakes. that does not happen when the jeep is going backwards.!@#$%?

The other issue that popped up is the jeep is now stuck in 4x4. Shifting the transfer case. It will go into neutral and it will go into 4x4 low but when i try to shift it to 2wd it wont do it. the handle seems to go all the way down. I most likely bumped the linkage and now it is out of wack so i ordered a Novak cable actuated system to replace the "Z " bracket. So the stuck in 4x4 issue will probably be resolved when i put the new cable on.

I don't think there is any link to the two things going wrong here with the brakes and transfer case being stuck in 4x4, jsut weird it happened at the exact same time.

recap brakes super touchy and lock up going forward. if i drive in reverse and hit the brakes it stops normal?

any thoughts?? taking the kids offroading this weekend an i hope to get it sorted soon :) thanks!

long time forum member on other forums, new to this one. looking forward to helping out when i can.

I heard @mrblaine was a brake guru?? any thoughts of what i should try?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I had a bent slide bolt causing issues...might want to pull them...inspect the pads and rotors...feel out the hub bears while you're at it...you still have ABS in this Jeep?

-Mac

Reactions: Goondock
I had a bent slide bolt causing issues...might want to pull them...inspect the pads and rotors...feel out the hub bears while you're at it...you still have ABS in this Jeep?

-Mac
Thanks Mac. i will check it out. the weird thing for me is that the brakes were working completely fine, did 15 minutes worth of work on the jeep not relating to the front brakes at all and now they don't work. (Face Palm)

i am not sure if the jeep has ABS or not. i will have to check out, how to find out if it has it. Applying brakes in the snow i didn't get the ABS jitter effect like in my newer truck so i don't think it has it. The ABS light on the dash of the TJ doesn't light up at start up so i assume not

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OK for anyone that read this and were wondering. Jee is out of 4x4 just needed to be adjusted, also going to install the NOVAK cable shift upgrade.

Brake issue. because the jeep was stuck in 4x4 while braking it made the problem seem like it was in the front. after out of 4x4 it was easy to see the rear drivers side wheel was the one locking up. Took the drum off noticed it was pretty grimy and rusty in there the shoes wouldn't move side to side easily so i thought the rear wheel cylinder was bad. I cleaned up the area with brake clean and smacked the shoes around and it freed up, Cylinder was good just the inside of the drum got to a point with the rust and grime it wasn't working properly. Put it all back together after the clean and it works great. When i have more time i will put all new parts in there or just upgrade to an 8.8 or Dana 44 but for now Problem solved!

Just the random timing of 3 things going wrong with the jeep all at one time was just enough to confuse the crap out of me.

all good now and hope to get out on the trails this weekend.

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: skrelnik
OK for anyone that read this and were wondering. Jee is out of 4x4 just needed to be adjusted, also going to install the NOVAK cable shift upgrade.

Brake issue. because the jeep was stuck in 4x4 while braking it made the problem seem like it was in the front. after out of 4x4 it was easy to see the rear drivers side wheel was the one locking up. Took the drum off noticed it was pretty grimy and rusty in there the shoes wouldn't move side to side easily so i thought the rear wheel cylinder was bad. I cleaned up the area with brake clean and smacked the shoes around and it freed up, Cylinder was good just the inside of the drum got to a point with the rust and grime it wasn't working properly. Put it all back together after the clean and it works great. When i have more time i will put all new parts in there or just upgrade to an 8.8 or Dana 44 but for now Problem solved!

Just the random timing of 3 things going wrong with the jeep all at one time was just enough to confuse the crap out of me.

all good now and hope to get out on the trails this weekend.

Thank you for your help!
That or a disk brake conversion... way to stick to it and fixyyour issues...I ended up swapping my caliper out the other day but my Dana 30 makes a Wubba Wubba noise on coast... hopefully parts get here soon!

I love my cable shifter...took a bit to get it adjusted...and then another round when I put in my console back in...

-Mac

Reactions: Goondock
That or a disk brake conversion... way to stick to it and fixyyour issues...I ended up swapping my caliper out the other day but my Dana 30 makes a Wubba Wubba noise on coast... hopefully parts get here soon!

I love my cable shifter...took a bit to get it adjusted...and then another round when I put in my console back in...

-Mac
Thanks Mac.. as frustrated as i was because it was a weird situation. I am equally happy I got it sorted. My last TJ had an 8.8 with discs so that was nice not having to deal with the dumb drums.

good luck with your issues.

Reactions: macleanflood