Rear ended someone. Paint or powder coat a Dirtworx bumper?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Rear ended someone today. Second accident ive been in in 2 weeks. Last one i was on my way home from having two teeth pulled. Got t boned by a hit and run driver. In my sisters rental car.

Today i wasnt watching. Thought the guy in front had proceeded into traffic. I saw an opening and rammed his bumper from about 1 foot away. This time in my Jeep.

Good news is all I trashed was the front bumper and one fog light.

So now Im thinking ill bite the bullet and get a new Dirtworx front bumper. Trying to decide whether to paint or powder coat. Any advice? Im thinking paint can be touched up. And as accident prone as i am this month. Maybe thats a concern.

What steps should i take in painting it? And how much is powder coat?

Screenshot_20210703-122626_Gallery.jpg

I'd paint it myself personally. For the main reason you mentioned; easy touch up. I've had really good luck with Rustoleum Textured paint. It's a very fine texture and doesn't hold dirt at all. Has a satin like finish.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Self etching primer? Any other advice for painting? Ive painted alot. Just want to make sure im not missing anything. Last bumper i just did grey scotchbrite, dawn, acetone and sem paint.

I've painted two Dirtworx bumpers and they came out great. Start by spraying a coat of a self-etching primer like from Rustoleum then a couple coats of satin-black Rustoleum. They'll turn out great.

PAY ATTENTION to the required time intervals between coats as described on the back of the cans. If you add more coats too soon the paint will craze. You can give it two quick coats at first but you have to let the paint cure before adding more after that.

"DRY AND RECOAT TIMES
Dries tack free in 2-4 hours, to handle in 5-9 hours and fully dry in 24 hours. Primers may be top coated immediately. Apply a second coat or clear coat within 1 hour or after 48 hours."

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I've painted two Dirtworx bumpers and they came out great. Start by spraying a coat of a self-etching primer like from Rustoleum then a couple coats of satin-black Rustoleum. They'll turn out great.

PAY ATTENTION to the required time intervals between coats as described on the back of the cans. If you add more coats too soon the paint will craze. You can give it two quick coats at first but you have to let the paint cure before adding more after that.
No other prep?

Also what did u use to mount your winch? That's a ways off for me. But thought i would ask.

I did a front and rear recently and followed Jerry's advice. They turned out great. It'll cost maybe $30 in rattle cans per bumper vs a couple hundred for powder coating. With paint you can do easy touch up when needed vs the powder. I'd get the winch plate version. Robert at Dirtworx is a great guy....he will customize however you want it.

I vote for another stock bumper on ! to me the stock with hooks and fogs is a part of the TJ look I like.
I still havent completely decided. Im collecting parts. That i may put on my TJ. Or may save for my future LJ. Either way a Dirtworx will go on either or both.