Rear Storage

Albertarubicon

Hey I just picked up my first TJ. My wife use to have a JK but we decided to sell it when our second child was born a little over a year ago. I'm looking for ideas on lockable storage behind the rear seat that will still allow access to the child restraints in the back. I will sometimes have 2 carseat anchored in the back and ideally dont want to unbolt the tuffy locking truck system and take my gear out everytime I want to take the kids out. Has anyone solved this issue yet?
At the end of the day I need somewheres to lock up my stuff when the top is off so it doesnt get stolen in the truck area and still need the flexibility of two car seats. It can not go under the rear seats as i will have a sub box under there. Any ideas amd pictures would be greatly appreciated i ran a search but didnt see much

Bestop instatrunk?

Stuff4jeeps TJ Security/Tonneau Cover.

You could drill holes or cut slots in either for anchors.

Bestop instatrunk?

Stuff4jeeps TJ Security/Tonneau Cover.

You could drill holes or cut slots in either for anchors.
Looking at it I dont think the kids child anchors will drop down behind it to latch in the trunk area? Unless the top deck has hinges on it that can be flipped up?

You could install a tuffy instatrunk, bolt tabs to it, then attach the kiddos seat to the instatrunk.

It is made of steel after all so it should be strong enough to anchor a car seat.

Mine (96) came with a Jeep insta-trunk installed. Held in by 4 or 6 bolts and completely block the front and top. Seals against the tailgate. Just shy of being as high as the tailgate. So about perfect for groceries to fit. Good quality plastic panels. I'm not sure the actual name, but it's made to work with the rear seat and looks like it belongs, unlike some 'boxes'.

Reactions: PalmettoStateBob
Mine (96) came with a Jeep insta-trunk installed. Held in by 4 or 6 bolts and completely block the front and top. Seals against the tailgate. Just shy of being as high as the tailgate. So about perfect for groceries to fit. Good quality plastic panels. I'm not sure the actual name, but it's made to work with the rear seat and looks like it belongs, unlike some 'boxes'.
Was it this?

20200525_100136.jpg

That is exactly what I'm looking for. The issue with the tuffy and instatrunk is the deck is solid on the top so I would need to unbolt the whole assembly in order to use the anchors in the trunk when I want to put the kiddies in the back. I'm assuming the top deck of that folds up or looks like it does by the hinges in the back? Is it any higher than the rear seat when folded up? Trying to find one is proving difficult in Canada but that is my ideal setup. Do you have any pics of it installed by chance?

Here in ontario the stock ones come up on kijiji all the time.
Yeah I noticed there were actually a couple on kijiji right now, I just needed to figure out the right keywords to get them in a search. I'm trying to figure out if my brother is close to one and can possible ship it to me. The closest one to me that I can find on kijiji is about 800km away right now