Recommendations on frame repair

DanMan

Bought this 97 TJ last year and finally the weather has been nice enough to take a closer look. While looking at what I will need to replace suspension wise, I found some rust issues on the frame. I have read through some of the threads about this but looking for some advise on the best way forward. Does this look to bad to sand down and put por-15 on or need frame repair. Thanks
Dan

099106A6-B1B2-41D5-A168-45341074B1AD.jpeg

59DCE697-4C8A-44D3-8AB5-4C9FA4548A55.jpeg

C9C99759-5499-4CFD-A51B-47B5C65FA917.jpeg

That photo brings back memories. One of my TJ was like that when I tackled the bad rust cancer.

It took me about a year on weekends to take it apart bolt-by-bolt, lots of elbow grease and few busted knuckles from too many wire brushing and rust dissolver soaking from naval jellies, power washing, engine degreasing, etc.

Seriously, about a year when I felt was satisfied with my "manual cleaning" works that I have invested, I applied POR-15 and linseed oil thereafter.

That was almost like 10 years ago. The rust cancer never came back, NEVER!

I still own these 2 TJs, a proud owner. Damn I hate rust!

Last edited:
It's just plain BS that Mopar built such crap. Any idiot could see the frames as were being used would later become a problem. The BEAN COUNTERS definitely won out
on this decision.

Can you post a few pics of the frame in skid plate area and the rear lower control mount.
Here are a couple more pictures I just took. I am not scared to replace parts that need to be replaced as the plan is to get this vehicle in good shape for my sons first ride. I have almost 2 years to work on it, but if the frame is bad I am not sure I want to invest it this.

0AA36BB0-32DB-4C16-8BBD-8AB6B23B2A11.jpeg

EC4F45ED-F38E-491D-9872-DCA1C2DB10CC.jpeg

CB04D7EA-D3DB-411B-B239-887B52E4416B.jpeg

Still not real clear about what you have there.

Here's a picture of where the skid plate mounts to the frame.

The area marked yellow shouldn't be too hard to fix but anywhere near the red is on it's death bed.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.07.00 PM (1).jpg

Here's where someone, at some point welded a patch on the frame to hold the lower control arm mount on. The hole appeared either because the patch wasn't big enough, nothing was done after the patch, or a bit of both.
IMG_20190913_155832830_HDR.jpg

My apologies, I guess I took pics of the wrong area. My frame looks no where as bad as those, I attached a pic of the frame above posted.

61C71226-685F-4C97-A09F-6E4941FDBA05.jpeg

TJ frames rot from the inside out, so you need to feel around inside the frame holes. Do you feel a lot of rust chunks?

That frame will mostly likely need replacement, safety caps, or other repairs in a few years. Judging by what I can see, there isn't much you are going to be able to do to stop the rust that has already started on the inside. I wouldn't bother with sanding the rust off unless you care about the looks. I'd start figuring out what you want to do now when the frame goes, because at least for now, it looks driveable.

When I pulled the rear wheels off earlier, I was pulling metal from the inside of the frame which made me stop looking at what parts I should order to is this frame serviceable. Well I guess I will talk to the wife and see what we should do. Thanks for the input gents.

I have seen MUCH worse frames than yours. Many people will tell you to "get a new frame" or to "scrap it." This is coming from a fellow rust belt Jeep owner - just buy the Safe-T-Caps and repair it that way, or have someone do it if you don't have a welder. That will make it good to go for many years, as long as it is done correctly. Just my opinion though. :)

I have seen MUCH worse frames than yours. Many people will tell you to "get a new frame" or to "scrap it." This is coming from a fellow rust belt Jeep owner - just buy the Safe-T-Caps and repair it that way, or have someone do it if you don't have a welder. That will make it good to go for many years, as long as it is done correctly. Just my opinion though. :)
You have a site to purchase the safe-T-Caps? I can use my google foo but don’t wanna order the wrong parts. I do not want to give up on it to soon since this is my first Jeep ever. Me and the wife drive Toyota’s and they have had there issues with frame rust as well. Again thanks everyone for the advise and taking a look.
Dan

Hi all, I've got a 97 with rusty frame and body mounts (center and rear on body torsion tubes) and have been rummaging around this forum and others for "fixes" and info, which I have found a cornucopia of here.... love this forum! Purchased jeep knowing it had issues but the price was right and that I could part it out if had to... which won't ever happen as my wife and daughter have named the jeep...."Jellybean" is now part of the family.
Just wanted to add a comment and throw out an idea...
Comment: If you're going to do the repair/clean/preventative work on the frame, safety cap products or whatever, you need to incorporate some (new) drain holes in the frame in the plan. Theres many threads on where and how large so I'll not get detailed on this comment.

Question (kinda) and looking for opinions: I am planning to put new 5/8" drain holes in bottom of frame and cut out larger openings, 2"x3" approximately, on bottom at each end of frame tube forward and rear of control mounts and at front and rear terminus. This will give an almost "straight" shot for access to all of frame so as to completely be able to clean and treat. I will then fabricate and install reinforcement surrounds/plates to fit over frame at these larger access holes and plug them with rubber body plugs. Smaller drainholes will be reinforced with plate washers. Superfluous other wholes in frame will also be pluged with rubber plugs.
Am I nuts? Maybe ...more then likely yes.