Remanufactured transmission advice

Moseley81

Supporting Member
Hey fellow jeepers first off Happy easter to yall and yalls familys.
Now the bad part. My 06 tjs automatic transmission decided it was through living. It only has 106k on it. It is my daily and im just curious as to who you all recommend to use and who to stay away from far as remanufactured transmissions go?
Thanks for any and all advice.

When I bought my Jeep it came with a re-manufactured AX-15 from Jasper Engines and Transmissions, I havn't really heard much mention of them, but personally my experiance with them was nothing short of fantastic. The warrenty is 3 years or 100,000 miles. I ended up having some grinding issues that were probably cause by me seeing as how they appeared right after I got done bouncing the Jeep off some rocks. Jasper was beyond helpful on the phone, I had my local transmission mechanic contact them once he verified the issues, they sent out a new unit and had it swapped in in under a week. They even reimbursed the labor. $3000 job (transmission plus labor) and all it cost was $40 for a new throwout bearing I elected to have changed at the same time. The best part is I never even forked over for the original transmission but I still was covered by the warranty without a hiccup. If you are going to just go with a replacement unit; I would recommend getting in touch with them.

Jasper is a good move. Heard good things about them, including a friend that had a Jasper engine in his 89 with fantastic results.

My strong suggestion is to stay clear and away from any Ebay remans. Period.

I got a price from o'Reillys 1,700 ish and napas was like 2,200 ish. A friend has an account setup with jasper hes gonna try and get me price from them today. If its any where in the price range of the other 2 quotes jasper is what im going to go with.

I have good luck with Jasper, great warranty and easy to talk to. I installed myself but found out later that a local shop who is a dealer could buy same trans for over $500 cheaper since they do enough business with them. Might look into buying that way.

What’s wrong with your transmission?
Im not sure exactly. But its bound up inside when i put it in neutral to winch it up on to the trailer it was like it was in park. I had to take the drive shaft out just so it would roll up onto the trailer.

Im not sure exactly. But its bound up inside when i put it in neutral to winch it up on to the trailer it was like it was in park. I had to take the drive shaft out just so it would roll up onto the trailer.
I am guessing that you do not know a really good transmission guy?
A really good trans guy could easily tear yours down and figure out what needs to be fixed, fix it, and get it back on the road for you.
But finding a good transmission guy can be extremely difficult.

Yea there's really no good transmission guys around where i live. Unless its a Chevy transmission then i know about 4 or 5 of them. Lol