Removing lunchbox locker?

mjr

I have a locker in my rear Dana 35 and am thinking of removing it. I use the Jeep mainly on the road and any offroading is limited to light trails. I also live up North and am concerned about driving in snow in winter. Not crazy about how it handles on the road now either.

I am planning to go back to the open diff. Going to an LSD isn't in my budget now, maybe down the road. Is it as simple as removing the locker and putting new spider gears in? I watched a few videos on installing spider gears and it seems relatively straightforward. Not sure about removing the locker though.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

KIMG0392.JPG

Watch a Utube video on a locker install and play it backwards. If you have the spider gears then it is that easy.

Removing it is not difficult, you'll probably need a 12-pt. 1/4" socket to get the pin out that holds the cross-pin.

I'd get that lunchbox out ASAP, Dana 35 axle shafts like to snap when there's a locker in the axle since lockers can easily double the torque an axle shaft can experience.

Like this....

20180324_163833_resized.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Removing it is not difficult, you'll probably need a 12-pt. 1/4" socket to get the pin out that holds the cross-pin.

I'd get that lunchbox out ASAP, Dana 35 axle shafts like to snap when there's a locker in the axle since lockers can easily double the torque an axle shaft can experience.

Like this....

View attachment 114851
Damn you got some long ass hair.