Replace cigarette lighter with USB charger

hoosierny

My 2006 TJ had the cigarette lighter delete and never seemed to charge correctly if I put in a pluggable USB device. I figured it was just an empty slot, but after removing it I’ve noticed the wiring in the picture. Does anyone have an idea of what these wires are and which ones I’d might use for hardwiring a USB charger? Not a ton of info out there for the TJ and electrical is not my strength.

IMG_9133.jpeg

IMG_9132.jpeg

Somebody tapped into your lighter's wiring, but it should still work. Check your fuse. When you get it working I'd just use a dual port USB charger lighter adapter with a power indicator LED. Works for me.

For hardwired, I like the add a fuse, you can then run the charging cord under the dash for a clean install.

1718290549617.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg
IMG_0821.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper
Somebody tapped into your lighter's wiring, but it should still work. Check your fuse. When you get it working I'd just use a dual port USB charger lighter adapter with a power indicator LED. Works for me.

Thanks. So the blue clip with brown/black wires out the back is the tapped portion? What wire is the red/yellow one? I knew something looked different here than most of the pictures I've seen online. I had a rear wiper switch installed for a factory hardtop that I purchased for dealing with cold NY winters (the jeep was originally only a soft top). Wondering if that's what's been tapped in here.

Cut it all out!

Wiring diagram is is the resources section. Section 8w.

Get rid of that blue scotch lock connector if you can. They like to cut wires at all the wrong times.

IMG20240613080056.jpg

-Mac

Reactions: AndyG
So the blue clip with brown/black wires out the back is the tapped portion?

The blue connector is not OEM, and really not the best option either. I'll guess it was used out of convenience to connect a universal lighter/power outlet.
1718291500675.png

Reactions: macleanflood
I figured it was just an empty slot, but after removing it I’ve noticed the wiring in the picture. Does anyone have an idea of what these wires are and which ones I’d might use for hardwiring a USB charger?
Check for 12v across the RD/LG and BLK wires.
It's only hot with the key on.
If a plug-in charger isn't working in the power outlet, check for corrosion.
8W-41-2 is the FSM page.
Seems odd to only tap into the black (ground) wire, unless there's more going on behind the dash.

Last edited:
Check for 12v across the RD/LG and BLK wires.
It's only hot with the key on.
If a plug-in charger isn't working in the power outlet, check for corrosion.
8W-41-2 is the FSM page.
Seems odd to only tap into the black (ground) wire, unless there's more going on behind the dash.

Thanks for that info. Yeah, was very surprised to see this after opening it up. Will have to dig further and will take the dash out to try and trace back where the tapped wire is leading to.

My guess is a stereo installer freaked out over the braided flat factory ground cable and looked elsewhere for a ground.

-Mac

I wanted to install a double DIN, so I will be taking out the dash and will get a better idea of what this tapped wire is leading to. If it's the radio, then should be an easy fix to just trash it.

Red and yellow tracer may be keyed hot, just fyi.