Replacing fuel sending/level unit vs entire fuel pump?

TD4ABB

Just bought a '99 TJ (project ;)) and am enjoying fixing her up. My fuel gauge is not working....usually always shows empty, but occasionally the needle will show some other incorrect reading. I am thinking the fuel sending unit / level sensor is bad. Fuel pump seems to be working fine other than that. Has anyone just replaced that part on the existing fuel pump or would the recommended action be to just put in new fuel pump? (Or just keep it working like it is and keep using the ol trip counter reset on each fill up LOL.)
My concern is I do not know what type fuel pump is in there now with the TJ being 25 yrs old so ordering the correct part may be more of a hassle to find out than just getting a whole new pump.
thanks!

Last edited:
Just bought a '99 TJ (project ;)) and am enjoying fixing her up. My fuel gauge is not working....usually always shows empty, but occasionally the needle will show some other incorrect reading. I am thinking the fuel sending unit / level sensor is bad. Fuel pump seems to be working fine other than that. Has anyone just replaced that part on the existing fuel pump or would the recommended action be to just put in new fuel pump? (Or just keep it working like it is and keep using the ol trip counter reset on each fill up LOL.)
My concern is I do not know what type fuel pump is in there now with the TJ being 25 yrs old so ordering the correct part may be more of a hassle to find out than just getting a whole new pump.
thanks!

Many people have just replaced the sending unit.