Retrofit late model tail light connector to 97

Ante_Up

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Can the later model tail light plugs be spliced in place of the 97 plugs? I'm wanting to wire up for flat towing and the plug and play kit (Hopkins 56202) doesn't work on 97's from what I understand. Thanks

Can the later model tail light plugs be spliced in place of the 97 plugs? I'm wanting to wire up for flat towing and the plug and play kit (Hopkins 56202) doesn't work on 97's from what I understand. Thanks
There is a 91-97 YJ and TJ towing kit. You need that one, it plugs into your factory weatherpack plugs. You could splice on the 98+ plugs if you found them, but they are designed for all the wiring to be tapped into at the right tail light. 97 doesn’t have the left turn/brake signal at the right side plug, so it wouldn’t work anyways unless you tapped into the left side and ran a wire over.

Reactions: Ante_Up
There is a 91-97 YJ and TJ towing kit. You need that one, it plugs into your factory weatherpack plugs. You could splice on the 98+ plugs if you found them, but they are designed for all the wiring to be tapped into at the right tail light. 97 doesn’t have the left turn/brake signal at the right side plug, so it wouldn’t work anyways unless you tapped into the left side and ran a wire over.
Ah, thank you... Didn't think to check YJ version

Reactions: machoheadgames