Review of a transmission gear selector seal removal/replacement tool

99greenTJ

Supporting Member
Having just bought a high mileage TJ 4.0, along with some usual problems was a massive transmission fluid leak out of the skid plate. We pulled the skid plate with unbelievable amounts of fluid, dirt and grime. Leak had been there a while.
I knew the skid plate couldn't go back on without finding the leak.
Lots of looking, asking on this board, youtubes ect, the leak was confirmed on the gear selector rod, facing up, on the transmission rear left side.
Others have posted step by step videos which were great. Getting the correct tool was my issue.
As many have found our it's not the smaller tool for some GM transmission.
I found a tool on ebay that looked like it could work. My inexperience on Chrysler transmissions numbers cost me a day or two.
The tool worked as it should, but it's design is it's problem.
The seal has to be screwed into by the cutting teeth of the tool. When it cuts I to the metal retaining ring, the top bolt on the to can be pulled out. Many have used seal pullers similar to this. The others (GM, ALLISON ect) have much better design on their cutting "teeth"
My whole long winded point is, if you use this tool, you will need a clamp device to PUSH the tool into the seal. This is on work on a installed transmission, on the bench you can get a hammer to it.
I can get a link to the tool if interest.
Around $45 shipped.
I've added a few pics.
OBTW,they send a new seal with the tool, I know have a extra.
20240620_140503.jpg
20240620_140349.jpg
20240620_140341.jpg
20240620_140857.jpg