Rigid Industries Flashlights

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Wanted to share my experience with a new tool that has earned my respect as part of my highly refined toolset. I have always been fanatical with flashlights. Several years ago, I was introduced to the SureFire brand of tactical, rugged, and to a degree indestructible line of LED flashlights.

My EDC for a good 5 years or so was the SureFire E2D Defender. This light had a 600 lumen output and it survived my abuse until the day that I misplaced it a few months ago. I have several backup flashlights.

The E2D, like most other SureFires, takes CR123 alkaline batteries and can accept 18650 rechargeables. I have leaned towards devices that use CR123 - I now carry 3-4 devices that take this battery size in my pack, when I go out in the wilderness (it is convenient having this standardization for weight constraints, especially).

When I lost my E2D, my thoughts were to replace it with the identical model. I couldn't find the first gen model online, and I had an unfortunate experience buying the newer generation $200 Defender from Amazon (they LITERALLY shipped me an empty SureFire box!!!!). I wasn't in the mood to be disappointed from Amazon again with this purchase, so I held out for a while and carries my heavier SureFire Fury backup flashlight for a while.

Then one day, I was up north at a 4 Wheel Parts store in line - picking up Lube Lockers for my Dana 44's, and I saw some flashlights in a glass display case. Upon closer inspection, the boxes beared the Rigid Industries logo, which sparked my interest. I did a quick internet search for the flashlights while waiting in line, to get an idea if the flashlight specifications, which were similar to what I would expect from SureFire. I had also found that they offered 4 different models:

EFB03DB5-3EEA-4F7A-861B-20A22DE29C0D.jpeg

They were sold out of the model that would have been comparable in size to my E2D Defender (the Rigid RI-600). I said what the hell and bought the RI-1100.

831F2234-1F2D-4C8D-8BC5-BE3059956AB0.jpeg

DB8D0B12-38A5-4F3C-8475-5204D86E6914.jpeg

This model comes with (2) 18650 rechargeable batteries and can accept (4) CR123 batteries. This light has 4 modes: high, medium, low, and rapid blinking. Itnis a VERY BRIGHT and VERY well constructed tool. It has already survived numerous 1.5-2 meter drops on pavement, submersion in water and mud, and general abuse in my Jeep.

This light can also get VERY warm. I would highly recommend to anyone that buys one, that you unscrew the end a little so that it cannot accidentally turn on a catch something on fire (better yet, stow it in a case that would prevent accidental button depress).

It has been a fantasic light thus far. Let me know if I can answer any questions and I will do my best to answer!

https://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family:18

PS: word on the street is these are already being faked on Amazon, therefore I would encourage you to purchase one from an authorized reseller. I have also learned about how serious Rigid Industries takes their sales channels - the first light that I had purchased from 4WPS had a small tear in the packaging and the light did NOT work!!! I took it a part to see what the deal was, and my theory was that someone probably had bought one and left it powered on bright for a couple of hours inverted and burned the LED board. The board was scorched, and it looked like someone swapped the board out of a new one - then returned the light to this store (the batteries were still sealed in plastic and everything else was new).

I contacted RI about this after I got my replacement from the store, and they were FURIOUS. Hey insisted that I give them every detail of the transaction, which i gladly did - I am not ar all a fan of this chain store / company!

Thanks for this post. I'm shopping for a light to keep in my TJ. Preferably with a mount. Any updates on this front, or is this still your favorite light?

I don't know much about there flashlights but I can say I have 3 sets of RI lights and a 10" RI light bar. The quality is top notch, now not cheap but they have been on my jeep for a few years and the powder coating lenses and everything else still looks great. No fading, chipping, cracking, etc. unlike some other Chinese knock offs.

Any other light-gurus out there want to make a recommendation? I'm looking for something I can easily mount, and also keep charged via USB.

Any other light-gurus out there want to make a recommendation? I'm looking for something I can easily mount, and also keep charged via USB.
I recently bought a couple of these for $20.80 each on Amazon for leaving in vehicles. Not USB though. Wait for them to go on sale.

Streamlight 88850 PolyTac LED Flashlight with Lithium Batteries, Black - 600 Lumens

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S0IN46/?tag=wranglerorg-20

167823EB-B090-4D8C-8B3D-19E4B75344A9.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ
Wanted to share my experience with a new tool that has earned my respect as part of my highly refined toolset. I have always been fanatical with flashlights. Several years ago, I was introduced to the SureFire brand of tactical, rugged, and to a degree indestructible line of LED flashlights.

My EDC for a good 5 years or so was the SureFire E2D Defender. This light had a 600 lumen output and it survived my abuse until the day that I misplaced it a few months ago. I have several backup flashlights.

The E2D, like most other SureFires, takes CR123 alkaline batteries and can accept 18650 rechargeables. I have leaned towards devices that use CR123 - I now carry 3-4 devices that take this battery size in my pack, when I go out in the wilderness (it is convenient having this standardization for weight constraints, especially).

When I lost my E2D, my thoughts were to replace it with the identical model. I couldn't find the first gen model online, and I had an unfortunate experience buying the newer generation $200 Defender from Amazon (they LITERALLY shipped me an empty SureFire box!!!!). I wasn't in the mood to be disappointed from Amazon again with this purchase, so I held out for a while and carries my heavier SureFire Fury backup flashlight for a while.

Then one day, I was up north at a 4 Wheel Parts store in line - picking up Lube Lockers for my Dana 44's, and I saw some flashlights in a glass display case. Upon closer inspection, the boxes beared the Rigid Industries logo, which sparked my interest. I did a quick internet search for the flashlights while waiting in line, to get an idea if the flashlight specifications, which were similar to what I would expect from SureFire. I had also found that they offered 4 different models:

View attachment 36367

They were sold out of the model that would have been comparable in size to my E2D Defender (the Rigid RI-600). I said what the hell and bought the RI-1100.

View attachment 36368
View attachment 36369
This model comes with (2) 18650 rechargeable batteries and can accept (4) CR123 batteries. This light has 4 modes: high, medium, low, and rapid blinking. Itnis a VERY BRIGHT and VERY well constructed tool. It has already survived numerous 1.5-2 meter drops on pavement, submersion in water and mud, and general abuse in my Jeep.

This light can also get VERY warm. I would highly recommend to anyone that buys one, that you unscrew the end a little so that it cannot accidentally turn on a catch something on fire (better yet, stow it in a case that would prevent accidental button depress).

It has been a fantasic light thus far. Let me know if I can answer any questions and I will do my best to answer!

https://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family:18

PS: word on the street is these are already being faked on Amazon, therefore I would encourage you to purchase one from an authorized reseller. I have also learned about how serious Rigid Industries takes their sales channels - the first light that I had purchased from 4WPS had a small tear in the packaging and the light did NOT work!!! I took it a part to see what the deal was, and my theory was that someone probably had bought one and left it powered on bright for a couple of hours inverted and burned the LED board. The board was scorched, and it looked like someone swapped the board out of a new one - then returned the light to this store (the batteries were still sealed in plastic and everything else was new).

I contacted RI about this after I got my replacement from the store, and they were FURIOUS. Hey insisted that I give them every detail of the transaction, which i gladly did - I am not ar all a fan of this chain store / company!
Jeepboss
- I’m with you in regards to the performance of this flashlight and RI stands firm behind their products !
- mine is at least 3 years old and I wouldn’t wanna miss it !
- 1100 lumen is a lot of output power
- I noticed that you have to keep it reasonably warm ( room temperature for storage ) in order for the batteries to hold their charge
- I use it mainly at work, while inspecting the insides of booms on cranes and utility equipment
- 200.-+ $ cdn at the time was well worth it
- whoever is interested in this product, do yourself a favour and don’t purchase a “knockoff “ brand !

~•|||||•~👋🏿

SSTJ
consider purchasing this “HEADLAMP”
- I rely on this daily!
- takes one identical , rechargeable battery as the RI flashlights
- USB port
- in comparison with other headlamps, it’s a bit on the heavy side with the aluminum housing and the size battery , but the way it performs, I have absolutely no regrets !!!
- not sure who distributes them, got mine tru work
- I hope I’m not too late with my post 😊

~•|||||•~👋🏿
image.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ
Jeepboss
- I’m with you in regards to the performance of this flashlight and RI stands firm behind their products !
- mine is at least 3 years old and I wouldn’t wanna miss it !
- 1100 lumen is a lot of output power
- I noticed that you have to keep it reasonably warm ( room temperature for storage ) in order for the batteries to hold their charge
- I use it mainly at work, while inspecting the insides of booms on cranes and utility equipment
- 200.-+ $ cdn at the time was well worth it
- whoever is interested in this product, do yourself a favour and don’t purchase a “knockoff “ brand !

~•|||||•~👋🏿
950 lumen !!!!