Rim width: 8" vs 10"

I believe most will recommend 8” rims.
8” runs will hold a bead better at low tire pressures and also be better protected from abrasion.

Be sure to get the correct offset/backspacing to avoid rubbing.

3.75” or 4” of backspacing is ideal for that width. 4.5” can be used, but modifications will likely be required on the steering stops which will marginally increase the vehicle turning radius (not desirable).

Lower numbers than ~3.5” or so can have a negative impact on bearing and ball joint life. (This number is debatable.)

Last edited:
I'm looking at DC-2 wheels, 3.75 inch backspace. Just want to make sure that I would not have to decrease the turning radius.

8 vs 10 really comes down to personal preference. A 10" wide wheel will make those tires look really wide. If you will be in the sand a lot, where flotation is important, it might work better for you than a 8" wide wheel. What was mentioned before is true as well. If you want to do some wheeling with the tires at low pressure (10 psi) the 8" wide wheel will hold the beads better.

If you want the wide tire look, go 10"

I personally prefer 8". Some run 10", no doubt. But most you will find are running 8".

Definitely stick with a 15x8 wheel for those 35x12.50R15 tires. When you air your tires down for beach use or offroading the tires will remain safely seated at lower pressures with an 8" wide wheel than they would a 10" wide wheel. It takes more air to keep the tire's mounting beads safely seated against two edges 10" apart than if they were 8" apart. I've been running 35x12.50R15 tires nearly 20 years on nothing but 15x8 wheels on my TJs.

If it was strictly a street Jeep then 15x10 would be fine but if you take your Jeep off the pavement and air your tires down, 15x8 is the way to go which is fine for street use too.

Reactions: Mikester86
I drive on the beach pretty often.
4 inch backspace should be fine? That's what I have now, if I don't have to get new rims I'll be happy.

Currently have 31x10.5 Firestone ATs on old Moto Metal M950 wheels, more than 2 inches clearance to the control arms at full steering. Should be OK to keep these rims?

I'm looking at DC-2 wheels, 3.75 inch backspace. Just want to make sure that I would not have to decrease the turning radius.
I run DC-2's, the BackSpacing is 3.625, not 3.75, you will NOT have to increase your turning radius with these wheels and 33x12.5r15 tires.

Just a side note - I've found that some tire stores refuse to mount a 33x12.5r15 tire on a 15x8 wheel. BF Goodrich (and I believe other tire manufacturers) recommend mounting those tires on at least an 8.5" wide wheel. I was yelled at by a Walmart employee that I could not mount those tires on a 15x8 wheel and I could cause a serious accident, and even kill someone, if I did.

I ended up going to Discount Tire and they mounted those tires on those wheels no problem. Years later those tires are still magically on those wheels and I've yet to cause a major accident.